Problem with surge brakes

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Heritage trailer with tandem axles and drum surge brakes on the front axle only. This spring the boat shop put new brake assemblies on both sides. If I stop slowly the front axle starts hopping or studdering. I have to hit the brakes firmly to keep it from doing that. Then its a question if they work or lock up. Any thought on what might be the problem? The tire rotates freely. The hubs also get warm to the touch. I have tried preloading the bearing less and this doesn't seem to help.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris

tommays

Admiral
Re: Problem with surge brakes

i have found that with surge drum brakes unless i pull the hubs my self and lube the alu piston in the wheel cylinder with water proof brake grease and pack some in the boot that the wheel cylinder will not work well after a very short time<br /><br />they are about as water proof as a 99 cent rain coat<br /><br />surge brakes dont really work very fast the master cylinder in the coulper has to push the brake fluid through a very small hole<br /><br /> if it was the full size of your brake lines the trailer wheels would lockup and make it kind of crazy in a hard stop you cant really control a trailer with the wheels locked up so the system is built to make it hard to do it<br /><br />tommays

backdraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Slacken off the adjuster for each wheel. As the surge unit applies pressure to the master cylinder, the brakes come on first , a little too quick. They need to work but not so hard as to lock up. Kinda balances out with your vehicle brakes better. nevjb

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jumping or chattering brakes on trailer are a sign of improper adjustment of brakes for the load your carrying.I'm assuming the condition is happening with your boat on the trailer,If it only happens without boat on trailer this is normal.You will have loosen off the adjustment a bit.<br /><br /> good luck<br /><br /> Jim

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Chris_P:<br /> If I stop slowly the front axle starts hopping or studdering. Chris
The front axle isn't carrying as much weight as the rear one. <br /><br />Have the axles changed to where the rear axle has the brakes. It will stop better, and cut out the skidding/hopping.<br /><br />This shouldn't be a big deal. They'll swap just fine, and you'll have to add a couple feet of brake line to make the connections.<br /><br /><br />Another solution is switch over to electric brakes--- on the rear axle.<br /><br />For the conversion you'll need the brake actuating solenoids to replace your hydraulic 'wheel cylinders', some wire, and a controller. All the other brake components will remain-- shoes, back up plates, drums, springs, etc..<br /><br /><br />The dash mounted controller for them is adjustable and will also have a button where you can engage the trailer brakes independantly like 18 wheelers do. This is good when you're coming down hill on a slick road surface. You can slow down just using the trailer brakes and prevent a 'jack knief' condition.<br /><br />I've known several folks who converted to electric brakes, but none who went back to hydraulic, or any who switched from elec. to hyd.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Chris P, <br /><br />Your post reads as though you didn't have the axle shudder problem before the brakes were replaced, correct?<br /><br />I've seen this before. Its possible the new brake shoes are not radius ground correctly to match the drum, the shoes bind very easily causing shuddering which is tranferred to the axles & springs. Worn shackle bushes will also accentuate the problem. The shoes need (when new) a good leading & trailing edge so that they bed in correctly. Take it back to them and have it checked. Just my 2cents worth.<br /><br />Aldo

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

another thing that you could do is to check your hitch ball heigth... it may be too high causing the rear axel to carry the weight. the best way to check is on level ground measure the frame rail height then measure the coupler height...they should be with in 1" of each other. Rember that a balanced trailer pulls and rides better.