AQAD40 head job.

Ira Quirke

Cadet
Well I finally bit the bullet and ripped the head off.
This went a lot better than I thought but wow, lifting it off the block nearly bust my boiler!
I had a loss of pressure on No 3 and thought it was the head gasket.
I have turned the cylinder head upside down for cleaning, and poured fuel into the valve recesses to see if any are leaking. Non of the valves leaked straight away but still had most of the liquid after 5 mins. So I would say that the seating is probably OK. Not going to stop the engine from starting any how. I removed the glow worms and measured them all at under 1.0 Ohm on my DVM (typ 0.8). They are all in good condition, no signs of burning or breaking up.
I have measured the extrusion of the sleeves above head level at something like 0.3mm but this is difficult with a vernier gage.
The sleeves don't seem to have severe wear and the pistons are not loose. I don't know what the likely hood is of the rings being 'like rice'.
I need to put the head back now and start to tighten up the bolts so that I can get it back in the water. But I have not found out why she would not start, had low compression.
I have not turned the crank since I removed the head and will not, until the head is back....don't want to loosen the sleeves!
The injectors were overhauled recently, a year ago actually.
Is there any thing else I should check?

Anyone?:)