Trailer hitch height

Zaxxon II

Seaman
My new drawtight hitch opening is only 11 inches above the ground. It it alright to turn the hitch bar upside down (bend up) to gain height or is this height good enough? My old vehicle had the hitch ball 18 inches above the ground. Thanks for any input.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer hitch height

My bar is upside down. It is rated 10,000# and made/cut from solid steel. No welds! Cost me $20 more than welded but you pull with peace of mind. Is your height good enough? Depends on the drop. Your drop should be around 5 inches and with the additional 2 inches of the ball from the center of the bar, that should give you the 7" difference.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

You want to tow your trailer as close to level as possible when loaded. The draw bar can be turned upside down and used the other way. Ussually a draw bar with a 2" drop when flipped is a 1"rise etc. If you were level and using a 4" drop draw bar by flipping it over (3"rise) you would be at the same height. If your have a 1 1/4 inch reciever/drawbar my numbers don't work I'm referring to a standard 2" hitch set up.

deofc

Seaman

Mine is turned "upside down". I thought that was the way it was supposed to go. It seems to work fine. I think they are designed to be used either way.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Guy at the hitch shop told me that Draw-Tite drawbars can be used in either (rise or drop) position.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Of course, the bars can be used either way. In addition, there are bars of various "rises" (or "drops") so you can buy exactly the one you need to get your trailer close to level. They're actually not all that expensive, so you should get the right one if the one you have isn't. I actually have three since in the past 10 years or so I've trailered two different boats with three different rigs. Each boat/vehicle combination requiring different rise to level the trailer. Any outfit that sells trailer supplies should have a variety - I'd be surprised if the outfit that installed your drawtite doesn't have what you need.

nboater

Seaman Apprentice

I think the bars are designed to be used either way. A properly welded bar is just as strong as a solid bar as the welded spot is usually stronger than the bar itself.

NOSLEEP

Commander

A properly aligned hitch will have the ball<br />line up and same hight as the differential pinion.<br />Failing that, if its a height issue then the <br />trailer should be level.<br /><br />Pressure welded pipe is always strongest at the<br />weld.