Seamax

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have any information about these dinghies? I found them on E-Bay with a few different types. The prices seem to be pretty fair and they are here in Canada, so shipping is easier.

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seamax

Tohatsu Guru
What do you see as the reason not to buy one. They don't appear to be any worse than other types I've looked at.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Its a new import with no track record. That's a bad sign. The English translation on their website is awful. That's a bad sign. No authorized repair centers. That's a bad sign. Chances are its another low end Chinese boat with a three year "fall apart" design. The "distributor" is unlikely to still be in business in three years so the unenforceable warranty, with no where to repair it, will be doubly useless. We are seeing more and more of these "distributors" opening up, dumping product, then closing leaving the consumer holding the bag. I don't have anything against cheap PVC fabric boats as such. If you buy one at the right price it might well be worth the money. But, I would stick with a cheapo brand that has warranty stations scattered around....Plus, I loathe anything that comes out of communist China.

riverandocean

Seaman Apprentice

.... no track record. That's a bad sign.
.... English translation on their website is awful. That's a bad sign.
....No authorized repair centers. That's a bad sign.
....low end Chinese boat with a three year "fall apart" design.
.....stick with a cheapo brand that has warranty stations

What Tohatsu Guru says is true!

For your own sake don't ignore these red flags waving at you!

All the made in China boats with hand glued PVC tubes are going to have issues sooner rather than later...... make sure someone will be around to help you with the issues.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just a side note,

It's important to have an authorized local marine dealer & repair center that will stand for warranty issues, that doen't mean that any reputable boat repair dealer, third party skilled technicians, using good quality materials, can't handle any sib brand simple repairs.

Although now a days, most sibs are assembled in China mainly to lower hand labor costs, pvc fabrics and glues are not made in China, so materials are far more durable than expected. Besides, most users only use their sib at the most 3-4 months a year and kept properly storaged when summer ends.

According to my trained in France, Zodiac technician and personal 14 years experience as user and 4 as sib/rib dealer, any inflatable well cared for, correctly inflated using a presure gauge and shaded kept when not in use, will outstand by 2 their factory warranty which is 3 years on seams 5 years on fabric. Durability will depend entirely on you.

Happy Boating :D

Last edited:

wrbea

Recruit

after reading these post on seamax boats I am stunned that people have that type of attitude to a new company ..first of all does this person own a seamax boat ,second of all does he actually know for a fact the seams will fall apart in 3 years ..also does he know what type of warranty seamax gives and how they take care of it .....when he can answer those questions with owning a seamax boat then I will believe what he has to say ...other wise I am leaning on the fact that he is maybe a dealer for some other kind of inflatable boat ....I do have to admit that when someone bashes a product like that then I will personally look it up and see why ....well I did some research on the seamax boats .... found out they use thicker material then zodiac 1100 denier compared to 1000 denier they have new larger models coming that are search and rescue design and are exclusive to seamax .

since his post in dec of 09 the company is still around now with dealers spreading out across canada
don't think without a decent product that would happen

I personally own a seamax boat and I am very happy with it and the quality is exceptional

so in a final word when you have a product that is a bad product then you can bash otherwise investigate a little better

also a persons english does not make a bad product

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi,

I checked the Seamax boats and they are made in China by a company called Weihai who make a lot of boats for lots of companies in the US and Canada. I do a lot of work in China but not boats.

I cannot attest to their quality but the factory who make them look like they have been doing it for a while.

In terms of service and warranty it depends if the company locally can provide this.

The boats seem reasonable however like everything you pay your money and take your chances.

Regards,

Darryl

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

after reading these post on seamax boats I am stunned that people have that type of attitude to a new company ..first of all does this person own a seamax boat ,second of all does he actually know for a fact the seams will fall apart in 3 years ..also does he know what type of warranty seamax gives and how they take care of it .....when he can answer those questions with owning a seamax boat then I will believe what he has to say ...other wise I am leaning on the fact that he is maybe a dealer for some other kind of inflatable boat ....I do have to admit that when someone bashes a product like that then I will personally look it up and see why ....well I did some research on the seamax boats .... found out they use thicker material then zodiac 1100 denier compared to 1000 denier they have new larger models coming that are search and rescue design and are exclusive to seamax .

since his post in dec of 09 the company is still around now with dealers spreading out across canada
don't think without a decent product that would happen

I personally own a seamax boat and I am very happy with it and the quality is exceptional

so in a final word when you have a product that is a bad product then you can bash otherwise investigate a little better

also a persons english does not make a bad product

It sounds more like you are a shill for the importer than an honest owner of this brand inflatable. I have over 20 years experience importing, selling and servicing virtually every brand name inflatable on the market. I call it the way I see it with no ulterior motive at all. I routinely sell low end PVC boats to people, but I actually tell them them up front what they can expect in terms of durability and service life. My integrity is not at question here by a shill. Yours, on the other hand, is dubious at best. At best, you are completely ignorant about inflatables. I would suggest you learn a little before you criticize others who do know what they are talking about. You also may want to re read my original post as I was clear as to my reasons why anyone with a brain would steer clear of this no name boat.