1994 OMC Sizzler with 115 HP engine

jcmartin606

Cadet
I am having some issues with a 1994 OMC Sizzler. The boat runs ok, kinda rough so it nees work but the major issue is when I give it throttle it dies. Does anyone have any experience with these engines or have a guess on to what I need to check?

I have checked the compression and all cylinders are almost exactly the same. Not sure what to check...

Thank you

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1994 OMC Sizzler with 115 HP engine

I'll move this over to the Johnson/Evinrude forum, it's an outboard powerhead mounted on a jet pump, not an IO.

tashasdaddy

Welcome to iboats. have you check spark? what were the compression readings? you are ours eyes and ears.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

My gut says carbs are dirty.

tashasdaddy

so does mine, but don't get the cart ahead of the horse. no need to rebuild carbs, if he does not have spark or enough compression.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Search this forum for "1994 TurboJet"; there is some good discussion.

As with any crossflow V4 engine, once you have checked for 7/16 sharp blue spark from each spark plug wire with all of the plugs out and established that compression is fairly even across all cylinders, check the ignition coils, especially the grounding connections.

jcmartin606

Cadet

I will check the plugs later in the week, once the boat is back at my house. I do not remember the compression reading, but the mechanic that looked at it metioned it was perfect.

Will post a follow up once I check for spark and look at the carb.....

Thanks!

jcmartin606

Cadet

Another tid bit of info, this isnt my boat but my parents. The mechanic that mentioned the compression was good mentioned he thought it may be getting water into the cylinders. Any idea what would cause this, he thought possibly a gasket. Any idea what gasket this might be?

I have rebuilt several engines and assume that this cannot be that difficult to work on. What are your thoughts...

Thanks again.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Recently the source of water is often the gasoline. Use of a water separating fuel filter can reduce chances of that.

Most common water related engine problem is a failed cylinder head gasket, followed by failed exhaust cover gaskets.

Water can enter the cylinders if too much water pressure is applied while running on a hose.

BTW, the boat is a Sunbird Sizzler; OMC just provided the powerplant.