1998 OceanRunner Starting Help

ronmasterone

Recruit
OK Batteries are fully charger, I have spark at plugs, starter engages, and fuel is getting through. I have a new fuel separater and filter installed. So why won't the darn thing fire off? :mad:The problem it only at cold starts. After initial starting I am good for a days worth of hole jumping in the gulf without a lick of hesitation in restarting. And yes the chokes appear to be working as a have proven without by wet plugs.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 OceanRunner Starting Help

what exactly is your cold start procedure, set by set.??? have you checked compression? low compression engines are extremely hard to cold start.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind those motors don't have a choke, they use a primer system. Make sure it's working properly and you're working it properly.

SparkieBoat

Captain

yes you do not have choke plates..you have a solenoid injection system..I have a 1996 150 Evinrude..I had cold start problems, after checking solenoid and fuel pump and cleaning carbs, I checked my intake manifold gaskets, the injected fuel runs through slots in the gasket, the gaskets were the original rubber style and they had swollen, closing off the slots for the injected fuel. I got new gaskets, they are the firmer non-rubber style gaskets, cured my cold start issues. also a new set of plugs may be in order as well, I would do the plugs first.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ron, To start that motor, you pump up the primer bulb until hard, and then crank it, while pushing the key in. Keep the key pushed in until she starts. Repeat if necessary.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is a very good way to flood it. all the time you hold the key fuel is going directly into the intake.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

that is a very good way to flood it. all the time you hold the key fuel is going directly into the intake.

I never have to keep the primer pushed in constantly.
Just my experience though.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

On your particular motor the throttle has to be at idle when starting. Do not advance it.

Trim the motor down first.
Hold the primer ball with the arrow up and squeeze it until rock hare.
With the throttle closed, turn the key to ON and push in and hold for 3 seconds, then continue to push in while cranking the motor. It should fire up within 5 seconds if the igntion system, engine state of tune, and the batteries and starter are in good shape.
Once it starts, on cold days you may have to push the key in for one or 2 seconds until the engine starts to warm up.

If you have the keyswitch that uses the lanyard (kill switch clip) that fastens around the key, put it on. The clip is part of the detent system and without it the key easily goes back to off when letting off the starter position.

If your batteries, cables, or starter are weak, the motor will not turn over fast enought to generate a good spark. The motor need 300-350rpm to generate enough igniton voltage to light the motor off.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Folks, I have that exact motor, and some experience starting it in the summer and winter. Holding the key in until it starts is the proper method, winter or summer. The throttle arm is usually kept in the neutral position. On really cold days, it can help to advance it a bit, especially during warm up.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

may need to clarify what temperature is COLD for you
what HP?

I have a 1995 Ocean runner 115

I use it in cold weather. I used it last weekend when it was 18 degrees out.

I have to push the throttle up to 3/4 in neutral and push the key in once in a while, while turning the motor over...

has started within 15 seconds so far.

I have used this motor at least a dozen times with temps below 45 degrees.

I usually need to set the throttle advanced in neutral to get her to start.

I make sure I am primed well, I dont need the bulb to be rock hard, just once it gives me some resistance trying to squeeze, then i am set.

and my tanks are 15 feet in front of the motor!!

bob

SparkieBoat

Captain

on my 1996 150hp rude, I hold key in until it spits (about 5 secs) then turn it over a couple of seconds before pushing key in again, my boat will flood easily..

ronmasterone

Recruit

On your particular motor the throttle has to be at idle when starting. Do not advance it.

Trim the motor down first.
Hold the primer ball with the arrow up and squeeze it until rock hare.
With the throttle closed, turn the key to ON and push in and hold for 3 seconds, then continue to push in while cranking the motor. It should fire up within 5 seconds if the igntion system, engine state of tune, and the batteries and starter are in good shape.
Once it starts, on cold days you may have to push the key in for one or 2 seconds until the engine starts to warm up.

If you have the keyswitch that uses the lanyard (kill switch clip) that fastens around the key, put it on. The clip is part of the detent system and without it the key easily goes back to off when letting off the starter position.

If your batteries, cables, or starter are weak, the motor will not turn over fast enought to generate a good spark. The motor need 300-350rpm to generate enough igniton voltage to light the motor off.

I have beeen through most all suggestions given. One thing I focused in on was that motor fired when I jump in the tow vehicles battery as well. Therefore I replaced the batteries even though they were still hold the charges. Today's attempt was a bust again this time with the new batteries. Should I move on to cables? Starter is stilll turning strong.

ronmasterone

Recruit

may need to clarify what temperature is COLD for you
what HP?

I have a 1995 Ocean runner 115

I use it in cold weather. I used it last weekend when it was 18 degrees out.

I have to push the throttle up to 3/4 in neutral and push the key in once in a while, while turning the motor over...

has started within 15 seconds so far.

I have used this motor at least a dozen times with temps below 45 degrees.

I usually need to set the throttle advanced in neutral to get her to start.

I make sure I am primed well, I dont need the bulb to be rock hard, just once it gives me some resistance trying to squeeze, then i am set.

and my tanks are 15 feet in front of the motor!!

bob

I am in Bradenton Florida. Cold is 50 degrees. Is there an ignition coil that may not be generating a hot enough spark that could be my problem

SparkieBoat

Captain

did you put in new plugs ??? if your plugs are more than a year old I would recommend it.