checking the transom for rot???

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have read that most of you guys have used a 1\4 in. drill bit to check the transom for rot. can anyone tell me where you are to drill the bit into the transom?? i am not willing to go from the outside because that is just not right!!! and i think that leaves to drill from the inside. or the top, or some angle i don't know about. thanks guys for answering my stupid ?'s TOOCAN

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: checking the transom for rot???

The inside is the way to go.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Inside, and down LOW...

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Wherever you decide, make sure it's a place you can get some resin/filler back into after you've drilled your holes (ASSUMING YOU FIND NO ROT).

Usually, rot will occur close to any holes that have been drilled into the transom (thru-hull fittings, engine mounting bolts, drain plug, etc... I'd start close to those if I were you.

GOOD LUCK!

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys that was the assumption but you all know what an assumption will do. TOOCAN

drewpster

Commander

Don?t overlook the possibility of finding it by removing fasteners that are already there. I find water in my transom by removing some old screws once used to hold a transducer to the transom. It dribbled out all over the floor! I also got a bit alarmed when I removed a tow hook and the bolt was just about corroded in half. I would start with that and move on to drilling if you see indications of a problem.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello...

Aye.. I would agree to rebed Everything.. look at your hardware and see if it comprimised..

If you have someplace to meter your trans then check it out..

You can drill 1/4 through just glass just to see if its wet and no problem if you fix it with glass and resin + cabosil after ( no need to layup repair those holes ). Inside or out will not matter on "structurebility". As long as you dont swiss cheese it lol.

YD.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks guys, i have a 78 cvx16, and this part. boat has aluminum brackets over the trans and i can prob. get a good reading there. i am not sure why this was not thought of, but anyway ill go that route first. TOOCAN

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you have a drill stop collar I would highly advise that you use it or at least wrap the bit with duct tape to prevent that momentary distraction and go too deep :eek:

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

boy this makes me feel good about mine, thanks also to all.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how deep should the drill go?? i know the trans that i have redone in a boat that i nolonger had was about 1.5 in. thick. is it safe to say that is how thick mine is?? here is a picture of the "patch job" the po had done before i could get to her!! (this is why im in ?) TOOCAN
11111001.jpg

11111003.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well..... first that aluminum bracket does really not offer any strength unless you have a crack in the middle .........

I would get a tube of 3m 5200 and remove the pitoh (speedometer pick-up) screws...... if you have rot the holes the screws are in will be wet..... if not coat the screws with 3m 5200 and re-install.

Your drilling should not need to venture more that 3/4 of the distance of the wood and only 2 or 3 holes as low as possible from the inside.......

I really do not like the look of those patches .... :confused: What outboard is mounted on that boat?

With the outboard tilted all the way up have you tried to apply weight to see if the transom gives?

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the speedo screws is a brilliant plan and that is what i will do. thanks....as far as the pressure test with the motor (1400 merc. '78) i have not done that!! will that tell me anything as far as rot or lack of strength at all?? i have seen the motor bouncing when being trailered. i just assumed i needed one of those "transom savers". i do have to replace the floor at this point and i was told if one is rotted the other is prob. the same. here's a pic of the floor!! TOOCAN
3boatpics009.jpg

3boatpics011.jpg

3boatpics008.jpg

the rot in the floor seemed to start mainly towards the back of the boat, like right at the area of where the back seat should go. stringer seems solid????????????????? TOOCAN

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry, im double dipping!! the middle picture is mainly of the one side rear that has the floatation. i have read a post one time and the guy said his transom was solid except behind each one off those "flotation" chunks of foam. how would i tell without removing the foam??? TOOCAN

jonesg

Admiral

you really need to get some drill chips in your hand and examine them, however you accomplish that doesn't really matter if you seal the hole again, i like a 1/4 drill. I suspect you'll find black mush from the looks of the rest of the transom.

The last thing I'd worry about is cosmetics , the transom is already in for a dime. So I'd go in for a dollar and drill near the bottom.

toocanshan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

your comp. right as far as cosmetics. we will see!! ill prob. get out there some time this weekend. ill let everyone know what i find and how i do so, for that matter. thanks again TOOCAN