Boat died on water not restarting

judgebobo

Seaman Apprentice
1988 Stratos 201 Pro 20 ft. Evinrude XP200

Ok- Boat was a little tough starting...followed starting procedures got it to start. Let it warm up and killed it and then it restarted several times after no problem. Had a nice ride on the TN river for about an hour and then the boat started sputtering and then it would go back to normal. By sputtering I mean.. it would lose acceleration and then come back. It would go through this sputtering then normal for about 30 minutes and then it cut off and I couldn't get it started again. Any help woudl be great, thanks---Bobby

Last edited:

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Boat died on water not restarting

Check spark to begin, no spark=no run.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Check the old favorites,

Compression
Spark
Fuel delivery
Spark plug condition of all plugs.

Post the results back.

judgebobo

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I will have to have someone help me with some of those becasue I dont know how to test some of those yet...jsut a rookie. SFC US Army/ Cadet with boats.... I did test the spark on plugs and i cant get 3 of the plugs to spark. one of the plugs had fuel leaking out at the head. Not sure if this will help unitl I can get someone to help me check the others... thanks..... Bobby

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ok I will have to have someone help me with some of those becasue I dont know how to test some of those yet...jsut a rookie. SFC US Army/ Cadet with boats.... I did test the spark on plugs and i cant get 3 of the plugs to spark. one of the plugs had fuel leaking out at the head. Not sure if this will help unitl I can get someone to help me check the others... thanks..... Bobby

Does not sound promising :mad: If you are not sure about what you are doing then yes, try to get someone to show you the first time. Plenty of information in the "top secret files" at the top of page one of this section.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is the vent open on the fuel tank????