Good deal or not?

fastback44

Cadet
The boat is a tracker tournement tx17, 1988 boat with a 1994, 75 hp mercury 2 stroke that runs great. Everything works stereo is gone. I paid 3500.00 I don't feel great about the price but I plan to have many years of fun fishing with my boys and friends, so I guess I answered my own question, thanks anyways,
but if you have any knowledge about these boats it would be appreciated.

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/jjfastback/SCPICTURES030.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: Good deal or not?

I had a 1985 Tournament TX-17 with a 50hp Mercury that I bought new. Kept that boat for 8 years, longer than any others I've ever owned. The only thing I ever regretted about that boat was that it didn't have the 75hp motor.

Good choice on your part. Congrats!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Congratulations on your boat. Price paid versus condition is all that should worry you. If your outfit is in good shape then that is what matters. A cheap newer outfit in poor condition is a bad deal.
Just my 2 cents.
Enjoy your boat.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Fishing boat like that are always priced fairly high. I would would not find that price at all unusual in my area.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The boat is a tracker tournement tx17, 1988 boat with a 1994, 75 hp mercury 2 stroke that runs great. Everything works stereo is gone. I paid 3500.00 I don't feel great about the price but I plan to have many years of fun fishing with my boys and friends, so I guess I answered my own question, thanks anyways,
but if you have any knowledge about these boats it would be appreciated.

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/jjfastback/SCPICTURES030.jpg

..one of my fishing partners has that same hull, powered by a 40 hp...can't imagine a 75 though!!!
If you mount pedestal seats, the aft hatch (stowage for the fuel tank and batteries) will be difficult to open completely and the control cables are always in the way. The drain plug is quite difficult to reach, especially when the boat is on the trailer. We are considering installing an outboard Garbord style plug in lieu of the existing inboard expansion type. We use the boat exclusively in freshwater rivers and ponds....not enough free board for the bay in my opinion. The livewell supply line, as installed, retains water and will burst the pump if not properly winterized (don't ask how I know).
The factory finish of the aluminum cleans quite easily, just don't use harsh abrasives or try to polish the aluminum....you will create a live-long project. We have stained the factory carpet quite severely several times, especially during deer season, but a little chlorine-free bleach has routinely restored the factory color. Keep her covered at times when not in use and the carpet and seats will survive.:)
I have fished out of this boat for several years now and have enjoyed 99% of the experience. The only drawback that I, as the passenger, have noticed is no wind protection for the passenger (we fish all winter here).
Forget the stereo....the alumimun hull will act as an amplifier and scare the fish away!!
The value of a boat is determined by the amount of enjoyment you receive from it. You can't put a dollar amount on that.
FWIW...Ed in 'ol Virginny

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Ah yes, care and cleaning. I just scrubbed mine while in the water with Simple Green, which is biodegradable and very effective. Made good fun with the kids and quick cleanup.

At first, I kept my boat garaged, but then stored it outside with a cover after I moved to a new house. Never had a problem with the carpeting, upholstery or a soft deck.

I used the heck outta that boat. When I lived out west, I routinely went out every weekend. When I moved back east (up north) I often used it several times a week during the season. I'd haul it to work with me, then hit the water afterwards for several hours of fishing.

Wore out a front seat after about 5 or 6 years, bought a replacement which was still in good shape when I sold the boat.

Wore out the bow-mount trolling motor after 6 years and replaced it with a used one, which was still working fine when the boat was sold.

Bought bearing buddies and installed them on the trailer when it was new and never had to replace the bearings. Did have to replace a trailer tire while on a road trip once on the PA turnpike. Finding a place that sold them was only a little difficult.

Upgraded the electronics, but only moderately. Never did have a GPS but never really got lost.

Fell out of it once. :D

fastback44

Cadet

I had a 1985 Tournament TX-17 with a 50hp Mercury that I bought new. Kept that boat for 8 years, longer than any others I've ever owned. The only thing I ever regretted about that boat was that it didn't have the 75hp motor.

Good choice on your part. Congrats!

you sound like you know what youre talking about

fastback44

Cadet

[If you mount pedestal seats, the aft hatch (stowage for the fuel tank and batteries) will be difficult to open completely and the control cables are always in the way. The drain plug is quite difficult to reach, especially when the boat is on the trailer. The value of a boat is determined by the amount of enjoyment you receive from it. You can't put a dollar amount on that.

I heard that ED I agree with everything you said .
You talked about not using it in the bay, I was planning on taking it on family vaction to St. Joe bay in florida this next summer for scalloping season, you don't think that is a good idea?

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

You got a good combo that is optimized for your intended usage.
You paid a fair price, so you can't get a better deal than that!

:)

Happy boating!

cobra99

Cadet

I believe that it is a pretty fair price for that boat. I have seen many similar boats go for around $3000 with a 40 hp so 75 is even better. I fished out of the same boat you have for a couple of years and i enjoyed the experience so much that I decided to buy a 16' deep v bass tracker boat with a 40 hp. The boat is easy to take care of and hard to hurt. Good luck and enjoy.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

[You talked about not using it in the bay, I was planning on taking it on family vaction to St. Joe bay in florida this next summer for scalloping season, you don't think that is a good idea?

If that is St. Joseph Bay in northwest Florida you will probably be alright, provided you keep an eye on the weather, carry required safety gear and manage your load. The several times I've visited the Gulf region I never saw a real wave to be concerned with.
The bay I was referring to was the Chesapeake Bay...it can go from pooltable smooth to Berring Sea rough with just a wind shift. At times I have been hesitant to venture out in the Chesapeake with my V-20.
Enjoy your boat in proper conditions and be safe.
Ed in 'ol Virginny