What are threads for in gearcase/prop area? '86 Ev

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
Is there a ring screwed in and welded to keep the bearing carrier from turning? It looks like the tab at the top might fit into a notch in a ring.

Attachments

• Picture 488.JPG
    Picture 488.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 0

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: What are threads for in gearcase/prop area?

nope but that bearing carrier has ether rotated or wasnt installed correctly last time.
OMC and BRP make a tool to remove that carrier and victor makes some nice oxy actylyne rigs.
takes both to remove saltwater carriers.
make sure you remove the bolts at the bottom of the carrier before atempting removal and NEVER try to reuse the quad ring bolt seals.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

I don't understand what you mean by rotated. The bolts were in the bottom and lined up with the holes. The carrier should come straight back and out. My standard flywheel puller wouldn't budge it. So what are the threads there for?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't understand what you mean by rotated. The bolts were in the bottom and lined up with the holes. The carrier should come straight back and out. My standard flywheel puller wouldn't budge it. So what are the threads there for?

I already answered this question, but my reply seems to have gotten lost in space. Anyhow, here goes again:

They aren't threads. They are grooves. The grooves trap water and act as a labyrinth seal to keep exhaust from blowing out over the surface of the propeller because that would cause cavitation.

Wishing you the best, but you might have trouble getting those retaining screws back in without completing the bearing housing removal that you started out to do. They screw into a retainer plate that sits behind a big snap ring. When the screws are removed, that retainer plate can move and the screw holes no longer align. The trick to assembling it is to install a couple of long guide pins in the retainer plate, then slip the bearing housing over the guide pins. Yes, the bearing housing is supposed to be installed right side up---the retaining ring and screw holes are free to rotate to align. Take a look at an exploded view parts book.

I don't have to tell you that the bearing housing can be a bugger to get out.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What are threads for in gearcase/prop area? '86 Ev

FR,

Thanks for the explanation. The holes are still lined up, just not having any luck getting neither the casing or seals out.

Do those holes where the flywheel puller threaded rods go into break off?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

FR,

Thanks for the explanation. The holes are still lined up, just not having any luck getting neither the casing or seals out.

Do those holes where the flywheel puller threaded rods go into break off?

Better stick some threaded rods into those screw holes before you do lose the alignment, in case you have to abort the housing removal.

I've never personally broken the puller holes, but I have often resorted to deliberately breaking the outer ring of the bearing carier away. That way you only have the inner ring to contend with. That's drastic measures, AKA Salt Water, and to be avoided considering the carrier is listed as No Longer Available.

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have to trim the bearing casing out by tightening and loosing the puller and tighten each time harder till it comes out. I succeeded last winter. When you miss the holes in the retainer plate you can adjust them with a thin screwdriver scratching either way.