Water pump nut torque

dozerII

Admiral
Question, I don't have an inch lb torque wrench, and need to torque the nuts on the water pump on my 74 hp. I did the calculation to covert in lb to ft lb but my ft lb wrench dosen't go that low. How critical is this?

Thanks Glen

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water pump nut torque

For a guy who regularly broke bolts off when I was first learning mechanicing, in my teens, I have learned otherwise.

I look at the size of the bolt, the grade, the material it's holding in place and the material it's being screwed into, and whether or not it has a locking device, or relies on "tension" to hold it in place.

If you are talking about a water pump and the manual is speaking in inch lbs, a boxed end wrench of say 6" long with your hand grasping the whole length of the wrench would be my suggestion. Then tighten until you feel the resistance go up sharply (all the parts are together now) and a little more whoopie (like maybe 1/8 turn).

I have several torque wrenches and I seldom use them unless I am in an engine or something like that where torque is imperative. Usually for me, all being in the same tension is more important than the exact tension....as long as you respect what I said initially.

I have yet to have an engine blow nor anything come loose.

My 2c,

Mark

dozerII

Admiral

Thanks Mark, Thats kind of what I firgured. It is a feel you develope over the years. Like when preloading trailer bearings.,:)

Seasons greetings

Glen

DuckOfDeath

Seaman

I had to crack the upper water pump housing the first time I did mine before I got the "feel".

j_martin

Admiral

I had to crack the upper water pump housing the first time I did mine before I got the "feel".

On my XR4 the published torque specs will seriously deform the housing. I do it with the SWIG method, with TLAR for quality control.

Like was said, you develop a feel after awhile.

If you take it till torque increases, and have a drop of locktite blue on the threads, it won't come loose.

hope it helps
John