New trailer...grease is coming out the back ...

AG

Seaman Apprentice
seals. A lot from one, a little from the other.<br /><br />I was a nut about greasing the bearings this spring/early summer - I think a little too much. I have those plastic caps that fit around the hub - airtight. However, I noticed some water in the hub the last time I dunked the trailer - so it is leaking somewhere.<br /><br />I purchased that whitish marine grease and my plan is to re-pack the bearings... Do you think I should buy a new rear seal? Or is it probably due to the fact that I over greased over the early summer?<br /><br />I am learning. Thank you in advance for your advice...<br /><br />Andrew.

bubbakat

Captain
Re: New trailer...grease is coming out the back ...

Replace the seals and repack. Just a couple pumps about every other time out is plenty.<br /><br />AG you ain't the first one to do this. :D

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also check for fishing line wrapped around the shaft.Will get under seal and/or will cut seal.Amazing how stuff will wrap around that axle just from backing in the water.

AG

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you fellas, I appreciate it.

Richok

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AG when you take it apart to repack it tie a string or something around the outside bearing or put the inside bearing back on the shaft when you pull the seal. This will help you keep the inside bearing from the outside in case you get in the middle and have to do something. Bearings wear to the race. You may be aware of all this but just a reminder. (FYI)I had to go to a trailer place to get my seal. About $1.50 each. Its worth replacing. ;)

AG

Seaman Apprentice

Richard, no I don't know any of this stuff - so I very much appreciate the advice. I honestly don't know where to start. The trailer only has about 2000 miles on her (at most) - so I'm certain the bearings are fine. <br /><br />I don't even know what size it is... so my plan is to take it apart, clean the grease off of the bearings, replace the seal and pack the bearings with the whitish marine grease (I am a duck hunter and I will be trailering in the salt water)... I should be fine - unless I screw it up.<br /><br />Thanks again.

AG

Seaman Apprentice

By the way, does anyone know if there is a tutorial on line - with pictures? I did a search, but there are no pictures of seals, bearings, packing, blah... <br /><br />Best, Andrew.

Bondo

Staff member

Try searching ThomWV..........<br />Seems to me he wrote a Great post about Wheel Bearing Maintaince.....<br />Hopefully it's not in the "Lost Achieves"

AG

Seaman Apprentice

I did it - I greased the bearings and replaced the seals. I can't wait to try out the trailer tomorrow... <br /><br />Thanks for all of the advice.