1960 5.5 fisherman lower unit

sail51

Cadet
I am trying to change the shaft seal and I can not figure out how to seperate the seal from the bearring carrier. Is there a trick to this? I have the shaft out and the bearing carrier seperate from the the shaft.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1960 5.5 fisherman lower unit

I am trying to change the shaft seal and I can not figure out how to seperate the seal from the bearring carrier. Is there a trick to this? I have the shaft out and the bearing carrier seperate from the the shaft.

Without special tools, there is no easy way. It's whatever you have available or can dream up. People have made tools by heating and bending a screwdriver so you can drive it out from the inside. A slide hammer puller sometimes works, but not always. If you have a Dremel, you can cut away at it till it is paper thin on one side, then it will practically fall out.

Personally, I chuck it up in a lathe and cut it out. Piece of cake. Of course that's easy for me to say because I have a lathe. Got any friend that might have one?

sail51

Cadet

My mechanic might have something to remove this. I started to use screwdrivers to pry it out so I guess I am on the right track. I'll check with my mechanic and see if he has something better.
Carl

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

My procedure was something like this. Grind at it with a slot screwdriver. Try bending up the inner metal of the seal if you can. Pull on it with pliers. Pry up with a seal puller (a J ended piece of hard metal). Take a break... Pull, whack, grind, heave. .. Take another break. All this while ensuring that no damage gets to the outer piece holding it in there.

This goes on for a while, then the profanity starts. The seal starts to budge a little at this point. Oh yeah, some heat doesn't hurt ... but not sure if it helps either. A few more pulls, whacks, grinds, heaves accompanied by more discustingly dirty profanity and presto ... out she goes.

Piece of cake !

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

My procedure was something like this. Grind at it with a slot screwdriver. Try bending up the inner metal of the seal if you can. Pull on it with pliers. Pry up with a seal puller (a J ended piece of hard metal). Take a break... Pull, whack, grind, heave. .. Take another break. All this while ensuring that no damage gets to the outer piece holding it in there.

This goes on for a while, then the profanity starts. The seal starts to budge a little at this point. Oh yeah, some heat doesn't hurt ... but not sure if it helps either. A few more pulls, whacks, grinds, heaves accompanied by more discustingly dirty profanity and presto ... out she goes.

Piece of cake !

Ha! That sounds very close to how I do it! :)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Has anyone thought about purchasing a seal puller?:confused:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have one and it doesn't really work in the bearing carrier... It does a bit... It's one of many tools one uses to hack away at the seal...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I just bought an upper seal for my 6hp. The oil came out good, so I didn't feel like changing it.:D

sail51

Cadet

I got it out by just prying with a screwdriver. It actually was not all that hard once I got to work on it. I did the same for the seal at the water pump. I knew I could buy a seal puller, but it is just another tool to sit on the bench which I would not be able to find next time I needed it. Thanks for the help.
Carl

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I can't find half of my tools now, but that's because my work bench is a mess.:D:D