water pump gasket sealer

jasper60103

Commander
Putting on a new water pump kit and just need some clarification. The manual says apply some gasket sealer to the impeller plate gaskets. FYI, j25hp '81 and the kit comes with 2 gaskets, wp housing, etc.

Do I have to apply sealer between the water pump housing and gasket as well? I would like to avoid damaging the gasket when it's time to change the impeller next time.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: water pump gasket sealer

OEM sealant is very similar to a non-hardening aviation permatex, often found in a small plastic bottle with a built-in brush/lid.

Although it is a great sealant when used, it still has a tendency to tear gaskets upon disassembly. It works great on lower unit mounting bolts as an anti-seize.

Personally, I prefer to use a VERY thin coating of silicone, spread about as thin as possible, almost as if you are trying to wipe it off, rather than on. Let it dry for 10 to 15 minutes before assembly. Disassembles cleanly.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When changing a impeller(NEVER NEVER)use the old gaskets,it;s like re-using toilet paper!!!!

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah those gaskets are one time use. Why even bother replacing just the impeller, might as well do the whole pump kit, which will come with new gaskets anyway.

Go to an OMC shop and aks for the peanut butter sealant, they will know what you mean.