Audible alarm question..

q-t

Cadet
I am hearing impaired and can't hear the alarm from my 2002 yamaha 90 when it sounds, unless the engine is not running. Does anyone know if an external alarm can be installed that would maybe be louder. I ran the tank low on oil recently and didn't hear the alarm until I had already come to idle speed; no harm done, but it made me realize that a louder alarm would be beneficial to me. I don't always watch the gauges like I should, especially in rough water like it was that day.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Audible alarm question..

Im just thinking out loaud here but, What about a light?
Im sure im not well versed in the operation of the alarms or your motor, but i think they are just a simple buzzer. That being said i think that its feed power all the time and when the sensor closes it completes the circuit to ground and causes the buzzer to go off.
If so then you can install a light in the circuit and when the sensor completes the circuit the light will also go on (also) to let you know. The light installed in the dash of course.

You will need to read up on this and make sure it will work tho. As i stated before i dont know your motor and am not sure of how those work for sure.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Audible alarm question..

I wonder if the buzzer signal comes directly from the temp switch or from the CDI after it gets the signal from the temp switch. I would not want to overload a signal from a high dollar CDI.

Maybe parallel a 12 volt relay with the buzzer and then have a different horn or light run off of the load side of the relay with a different fused 12 v circuit.
There are electronic 12 DC volt relays so the bouncing and vibration should not affect it hopefully, and they should be potted or sealed fairly well.
anyway just something to think about or try