Small problems and missing parts in johnson 9.5

jsesTM

Cadet
hi i have a 1972 johnson 9.5 i am rebuilding. as of right now it needs a new head (on the way) a fuel pump, a complete water pump, and a head gasket and i found out today that it needs a water tube. when i pulled the head off the first time i broke the two center bolts off luckily with a little left out of the deck. i torched it because all but 3 bolts were badly corroded. i am having a hard time getting those broken two out. and i would like to get all new gaskets, rebuild the carb, and change all the bolts to stainless. and does anybody have any tips on how to keep it in good shape as i plan on using this motor in salt water. and does anybody have prices for the above mentioned parts and/or any advice about this motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Small problems and missing parts in johnson 9.5

If you can identify the year/model number, you can probably find reasonable used parts at www.tcoutboard.com.

Good luck. :)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Zinc anodes will help for salt water protection, one could be install on the lower unit for sure, maybe some other 9.5 fanatics may have some other location ideas.

jsesTM

Cadet

do they have like an online catalog or do i have to call them

jsesTM

Cadet

well i wouldnt call myself a fanatic but i do like this engine i find it easy to work on and it shows promise for being a great jon boat motor

kbait

Commander

Tim's outboard. 218-682-2331. Lots of parts and reasonably priced.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

First, download the parts catalog from the BRP site. Most of the parts are available through any BRP authorized dealer.

http://shop.evinrude.com/

You will have to disassemble the midsection to replace the water tube. I would recommend that you get a factory service manual if you don't have one.

You can bolt anodes to the top of the A/V plate. There are several types that will work. The BRP part # 123009/173029 comes threaded for 10/24 screws and will do the job. Check boatzincs.com.

jsesTM

Cadet

well i just got done completely tearing down the motor and im starting to put my parts into carb cleaner. i have to tear down the motor so i can bring the block into my machine shop class at school so i can get my teacher to help me get the two head bolts out and one exhaust cover bolt other than that all the bolts/screws came out nicely except for one screw im trying to tap out now. im actually surprised because this was a saltwater motor and my uncle isn't the best at maintenance to say the least. so now im on a hunt for all the gaskets for it and all new stainless bolts.

jsesTM

Cadet

would that include the gaskets for the intake too?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dont use stainless fasteners on the cyl head.
you wont like the results.
simply order the correct replacements and be done with it.

jsesTM

Cadet

ill take your word for it and get the original ones but just out of curiosity what happens to them and can i use stainless anywhere else

jsesTM

Cadet

does any body know the number of rollers that are in the rod and main bearings i dropped a few and i think i picked them all up but idk

F_R

Supreme Mariner

ill take your word for it and get the original ones but just out of curiosity what happens to them and can i use stainless anywhere else

Stainless fasteners corrode (sieze) in aluminum worse than steel ones, and when they do break are 10 times harder to drill out. Ask your shop teacher to explain dissimilar metals. In spite of the corrosion issue, they are used where exposed for cosmetic reasons.

All the bearings take as many rollers as they will hold. When they are all in there, there will still be a space, but not wide enough for another roller.

While you have that thing apart, examine the boot on the shift rod, down inside the exhaust housing. If that boot is torn or deteriated, the motor won't run with the hood on. Good luck finding a new one, they are no longer available.

jsesTM

Cadet

well lucky for me the shift boot looks ok. i think i have all the rollers i have done rollers on a chainsaw before but they were much bigger so it was easier and there was only 12 for the rod and 24 for the main bearings. and i know about dissimilar metals causing electromechanical attack but i thought stainless would help. i dont really want to buy all my bolts from brp and the stuff i looked up on marineengine.com seemed alot cheaper so ill have a look at the bolts if they have them. is there any way to get a cheaper upper water pump housing the one i saw on brp was like 65 and thats the only place i could find one

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I'm sure you can find a used housing for it, I think it's the same housing off of the old 1955 7.5's, I have one in the garage if you want it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I'm sure you can find a used housing for it, I think it's the same housing off of the old 1955 7.5's, I have one in the garage if you want it.

Oh ya and any parts you need, Laurentian Marine here in Ottawa has 4 or so 9.5 parts motors sitting in the back, they'd be happy to sell you all you want.
Work them on the price though, they've been telling me this 1/2 price of new crap, buy in bulk might work them down.

jsesTM

Cadet

ottawa is canada right? shipping would be ridiculous. but thanks for tellin me about the housing ill go check it out and see if i can get a deal

jsesTM

Cadet

theres one on ebay right now for 15 i can probably afford that in the next couple weeks you just saved me almost 100 bucks

bktheking

Vice Admiral

??? I shipped a crankshaft, 4 pistons and rods for my 1000 Ninja from Cali for $80, I shipped a powerhead and sail lower unit for $90 from the states, it's not THAT bad considering the water pump housing you priced out is $60.
For NLA parts you may not have a choice and yes Ottawa Ontario Canada, the cap o Canada, and now's the time to do it, the 9.5's won't push the icebreakers so they aren't busy right now.