350 MAG timing

captn jack

Recruit
I have just installed a mallory ignition system and am ready to start up and set the timing. My harmonic balancer is to rusted to find the TDC and theBTDC &ATDC marks. Any suggestions how to procede ?? Captn Jack

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: 350 MAG timing

The balancer (if stock) has only a line cut into it as a marker. The actual timing marks are on a tab spotwelded to the timing cover;they rust to unreadable often. Is that what you mean? And if you didn't find any marks, how did you install the distrubtor? And that is a marine mallory you installed, right? 'nutcase

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you could just drop it in and then use a compression gauge hose in #1. crank the motor feeling for the air while looking at the rotor.

remove all the spark plugs, slowly rotate motor ,using a wood dowel in #1 hole feel for TDC. will either be compression or exaust stroke.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why would you get rid of a Thunderbolt ignition system to go to a Mallory????????

Only Fords had all the marks on the balancer, Chevy only uses a single line.

What year 350Mag are we talking about here?

zbnutcase

Commander

Why would you get rid of a Thunderbolt ignition system to go to a Mallory????????

Exactly....but I wasn't gonna pry...'nutcase

Bondo

Staff member

Exactly....but I wasn't gonna pry...'nutcase

Ayuh,.... Xs 3,..... The T-Bolt is the Best there is, your taking a step Backwards....

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

To answer your question, find the mark on the balancer and sand it w/ fine sandpaper, same for the timing mark tab. Use some soapstone like weldors use and fill the marks w/ soapstone. Carefully wipe off excess w/ your finger and they should shine like a diamond under the timing lite strobe. A white lead art pencil will also work well.
HTH,
Mike

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To answer your question, find the mark on the balancer and sand it w/ fine sandpaper, same for the timing mark tab. Use some soapstone like weldors use and fill the marks w/ soapstone. Carefully wipe off excess w/ your finger and they should shine like a diamond under the timing lite strobe. A white lead art pencil will also work well.

But that didn't answer his question, he asked how to Find all the numbers on the harmonic balancer, not how to clean up the tab and the mark.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

But that didn't answer his question, he asked how to Find all the numbers on the harmonic balancer, not how to clean up the tab and the mark.

If you sand the balancer mark AND the tab, I'm sure he'll find all the numbers and marks there.
Sorry Don, I guess I don't split enough hairs!!!!
Mike