Questions about portable fuel tanks

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a small 3 gallon tank for my 4 stroke 6hp merc. I keep it in the garage and it never leaks.
I got a 6 gallon tank with my 2 stroke 20hp johnson (old- '89) and it leaks. It appears to leak out slowly at the caps when it expands. So I went and picked up a new one. I took the fitting out of the old tank to reuse the hose and noticed that there was some kind of tape on the threads. Is there supposed to be teflon tape on there or any tape? This is the connector that screws into the tank and the hose attaches to.
Also, even after putting the hose and fitting on the new tank, the hose started leaking at the connection?
Do 2 strokes just have this problem because of the oil in the gas or should I replace the hose as well? I could cut it and re attach the fitting I guess?

Any thoughts and experiences on this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions about portable fuel tanks

Gas is gas. You have a leak. Any sealant that is gas tolerant is better than no sealant. Teflon tape will work. If the hose leaks at the fitting, cut off a couple inches and reattach. If the hose is brittle and the bulb is hard and cracked, replace it.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool, that is what I thought. I will cut the tube and give it a retry. Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

teflon tape can be dissolved by ethanol and gas; use the blue tube pipe dope instead.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that I have cut the hose and re attached the connectors I am not seeing any leaks. I will watch the threaded area too and if I see one I will get some blue dope for it.