syn oil

ron755

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 Evinrude XP150. I'm changing to synthetic oil. Is it ok to pour the syn oil in with what I have in the tank, or do I need to drain the regular oil? I heard once you start using synthetic, you should not change back.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: syn oil

Probably will not hurt anything but i would run most of the old oil out before filling with the synthetic.
I'm sure both are TCW-3 rated oils but some people advise against mixing oils.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

im not an oil expert but i do beleve it has to do with viscosity of the oil.
personaly i wouldnt mix it.
and actualy i would stick with one brand of oil.
so if you blow up your engine you can move on to the next brand. LOL

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ron, it won't matter how you mix it. However, if you baseline the amount of smoke and performance on the dino stuff and then run most of it out, and then add the synthetic oil, you can baseline any improvement easier.

ron755

Seaman Apprentice

Chris, thanks for the help. I"m glad to here this, because I had already mixed it. I was going to take it all out, but now I will just run it out, and start back with full synthetic Cost too much to do away with.:)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you happen to have more than one fuel tank, just run the one with the dino oil until it is nearly empty and then switch to one with the synthetic.

As far as I know, there aren't any problems with mixing the oils, but it can't hurt to do that, if its a convenient process for you.

???

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Hey Ron, it sounds like you have created "Ron's Semi-synthetic Special Blend" Oil. Maybe it will catch on, and you can patent and get rich, or maybe we will have another "oil thread war".

BTW - Vegas says 73%-27% that we have the Oil War.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

After being the "new toy on the block" (synthetic oil when it first came out) skeptic, there is now nothing on my farm, my grounds hygiene equipment (lawn mowers et al), my water toys, nor my roadworthy vehicles that run on anything but 100% Synthetic.

Read the label. It mixes with the "worst of lubricants", readily. So don't cave into the baloney that you have to drain all this stuff out and all.....just sales hype to line the pockets of the nay sayers..........follow the money.

But I am not a slave to the brainwashing crowd that says that synthetics require the same change interval as parafins. That is the biggest moneymaking lie of the 21st century...........in my humble opinion, of course. BTDT.

Just one example. Paraffin oils, highest grade HD, recommended multi-grade (per the owners manual) and all that. Had to change oil 2-3 times per season to maintain oil that wasn't black in my grounds equipment (4 cycle air cooled). With synthetics, I change once per year and it went in honey colored, and it came out honey colored (slightly discolored, but only slightly). So flu, flu for the disinformation society.

My humble opinion (of course) and experience, folks.

Mark