possible to do just shift bellows?

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Buddies boat, 1988 or 89 Mercruiser alpha one.

It has a ripped shift bellows.

He's on a tight budget. I know to do it right he needs a transom reseal kit, and replace all the bellows. Is it possible to replace just the shift bellows?

If a guy is just doing the shift bellows on these is it possible to just turn the drive and get at it from underneath without drive and gimbal ring removal?

What about just telling him to put this stuff on it to get him by a season?
http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...uto_Permatex_the_Right_Stuff_Gasket_Maker.htm

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: possible to do just shift bellows?

Yes, you can replace just the bellows. But, you will have to remove the shift cable.
If it's a trailer boat, and the bilge pump and automatic float switch work, he can just run iut if it's not leaking a lot.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't you have to pull the drive to remove the shift cable?

I've replaced a shift cable before but it's seems if all the sleep since now and then have zapped the biggest part of my memory.

Don't you undo those at the top(where it connects at motor) then loosen and pull it through at anchor point at drive?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If it's a trailer boat, and the bilge pump and automatic float switch work, he can just run iut if it's not leaking a lot.

Ah! I detect a little bit of sarcasm. :D

To answer your question about pulling the outdrive - yes, it does need to come off in order to remove the shift cable.

You also need to remove the plastic housing on the end of the cable where it connects to the shift assembly. I have found that it is sometimes nearly impossible to remove that piece without damage. Depends on the corrosion, etc.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I suppose it might also be possible to raise and turn the outdrive far enough to pull the cable out of the transom assembly without removing the drive. But you might kink the sheath.

45Auto

Commander

Can someone explain why some people are so afraid to pull their outdrive? Especially an Alpha, it's so light even my puny self can easily manhandle it around. Takes about 3 minutes (remove 6 nuts) to remove, and a $3 gasket set and about 3 minutes to replace it. And you get to check the condition of the u-joints, gimbal bearing, bellows, etc.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

so no need to pull the gimbal ring?

Also the shift cable bellows does not require adhesive?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

so no need to pull the gimbal ring?

Also the shift cable bellows does not require adhesive?

No need to pull the gimbal ring, and no need for bellows adhesive.

Now that I think about it - to pull out the inner cable you need to remove the outdrive. To pull out the sheath you do not. But as I mention, the only time I remove that typically is to replace the whole cable. I don't think I have ever tried pulling out the cable without unscrewing and replacing the entire cable -- sheath and inner cable together

well, to tell you the truth, to get to the shift bellow its gonna be really tight and you really have to take off the whole shift cable. I just did about three bellows jobs and the drive has to come off and if you can get the exhaust and u-joint bellow off without damaging them then your golden. Its really gonna be a pain to get them off without ripping the rubber if they used a lot of the sealant. I would Recommend (if its not leaking too bad) holding off until you can get the money saved up to replace them all. if you can get the shift cable off with ease then go for it. You just dont want to be in over your head on this. I know its not a hard job but there is a special tool that will help you get the bellows (exhaust) back on. also, when you do it take note of which way the hose clamps are. There are a few service bullitins saying that the clamps are the wrong way in the service manual.
this is my own opinion. If you Live in Orlando Fl, you can PM me and i might be able to give you a hand with it.
Thanks,
John

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Since nobody else has brought it up I guess I will. The replacement cost of a lower shift cable and the other bellows is only the price of gas for two outings (maybe even one). Even if your friend is broke, he obviously still has enough expendable income to buy gas for an I/O, which by nature is a gas guzzler. So why not have a reliable boat and skip two days of cruising?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^^ I'm thinking Don's answer was headed that direction. Nothing beats doing it right the first time!

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ugh
So I guess I should tell him to do it right he needs to buy a OEM transom seal kit ($150?) and a shift cable kit, ($75).
If this is not doable I can "try" to do just the shift bellow ($10 he priced this out at Napa), but no guarantees the shift cable retainer is not going to break when it is trying to be removed (then you need the $75 kit) or that I am even going to be able to wiggle everything up on there right with the gimbal ring on there(then you will need the reseal kit $150).

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Well, try and remove the cable and see how that works out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let us know how it turns out.

45Auto

Commander

I've seen people change them by turning the drive all the way to the left, then unhook the cable inside the boat and pull it through from the outside. Replace the bellows then shove the cable back through the new bellows into the boat.

I've also seen two $100 shift cables made unusable by kinking them using this technique .....

if you can get the exhaust and u-joint bellow off without damaging them then your golden.

No need to mess with the exhaust and u-joint bellows if all he's doing is the shift cable bellows. The reason for removing the drive is so you can unscrew the shift cable from the bellhousing ("helmet") and remove it from the boat to slide the new bellows over it.

With all that being said, it's pretty stupid to change just one bellows, if one is bad the others are probably REAL close to crapping out too.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen people change them by turning the drive all the way to the left, then unhook the cable inside the boat and pull it through from the outside. Replace the bellows then shove the cable back through the new bellows into the boat.

I've also seen two $100 shift cables made unusable by kinking them using this technique .....

How many success to the two failures?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've seen more failures than successes.
Pull the drive, remove the cable. (all you have to do is take the plastic end off the cable at the engine. Even the little square headed bolds and coupler can be replaced for next to nothing. Then file the bumps off the end of the cable. Pull the innercable out from the outside and remove the outer sheeth protion of the cable. (You will need a DEEEEEEEEP socket made with 2 sockets welded together)Turn the wheel to port and install the new bellows onto the cable. Slide the bellows back so you can see where the cable goes into the transom shield. Get someone inside to guide it up the right path (look before you remove the old one). Tighten the cable down (use that DEEEEEEP socket again). Clamp the bellows down, put the inside back together, put the drive back on (new gaskets and ring kit 8 bucks from Merc). Adjust the shift cable and go boating.

texomatom

Seaman

I've seen more failures than successes.
Pull the drive, remove the cable. (all you have to do is take the plastic end off the cable at the engine. Even the little square headed bolds and coupler can be replaced for next to nothing. Then file the bumps off the end of the cable. Pull the innercable out from the outside and remove the outer sheeth protion of the cable. (You will need a DEEEEEEEEP socket made with 2 sockets welded together)Turn the wheel to port and install the new bellows onto the cable. Slide the bellows back so you can see where the cable goes into the transom shield. Get someone inside to guide it up the right path (look before you remove the old one). Tighten the cable down (use that DEEEEEEP socket again). Clamp the bellows down, put the inside back together, put the drive back on (new gaskets and ring kit 8 bucks from Merc). Adjust the shift cable and go boating.

I did exactly as Don describs on my '98 Merc AlphaI GenII when my shiflt bellows began to leak.
A couple of tips that helped me:
1) I had a buddy weld up a couple of deep well sockets and I ground the outside diameter down to a thickness that would allow it to fit over the retaining nut and still fit inside the housing.
2) thread a coat hanger (or suitable wire) down through the path that the shift cable follows as you are pulling it out. When you are feeding the cable housing back in, slide it over the wire and it will guide it back up for you.

HTH

Tom

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you so much for all the responses.
It's refreshed my memory on these big time, and I have confidence I can fix him up now.

rad1026

Chief Petty Officer

tie a good string to the shift cable inside the engine compartment before removing from the boat. Once you get the shift cable pulled through the transom you can untie the string, thread the cable through the new bellow and then tie the string back up again. Pull the string back through from inside the boat. Take your time, it can be done. Don't force it. BUT, I'm with the other guys, probably all the bellows need to be done.