T-stat housing on 5.0 200 HP mercruiser

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I got the boat two weeks ago the p/o said the boat caught on fire. I got the boat home and started it up and the only thing that started burning was the exhaust couplers. If the balls in the housing(see pics) were rusted shut would that be the problem. can I remove these and should the housing be replaced at this time. Im new to the boating thing so bare with me.
013-5.jpg

those outlets with the balls go to the risers
014-5.jpg

015-5.jpg

010-3.jpg

Obviously salt water cooled. thanks guys

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: T-stat housing on 5.0 200 HP mercruiser

Depending on how the cooling system was hooked up, YES, the check balls being stuck cloesed could cause the problem.
Can you get a better pic of the hoses and how they were hooked to the Tstat housing?

PS. You also have a PM

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont have any better pics but I think one to the water pump, one to the outdrive, two to the bottom of riser and two to the side of riser.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Zero water flow causes the exhaust to catch fire....

Those check-balls have to be working in order to prevent overheating at idle...

I'd dose that housing in CLR before I threw it away,... Ya can't see what ya got, til ya Clean it....

What's the Impeller look like,..??

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not get to the impeller yet but that is next. CLR will clean that up? I have to get some but I do not think anything is cracked, its just showing its age.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The Impeller is ALWAYS the 1st place to look in an overheat condition,.... Always...

You're not concerned about Cracks,... It's the loss of base metal to Rust...

The "R" in CLR is Rust... it's a mild acid that attacks Calcium, Lime,+ Rust...
Rince with water when it quits bubblin'.....

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bond-o. This is what the outdrive looked like when I brought it home two weeks ago.
015-4.jpg

013-4.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Looks like it needs to vist a Hi-pressure washer... Donno if a carwash would do it...
Maybe start with a putty knife if it's been dryin' for 2 weeks...

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, I scraped it with a putty knife that day. I just got it in the carport and as it sat outside it got some white powdery patches on it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Try hitting it with the CLR you're gonna get,+ 1 of those Scotch Scrubber pads...

I'm more concerned with the waterpath, than the Looks...

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im going to get the CLR tonight, but I have not done my research yet on taking the outdrive off. I read that when winterizing that I should remove the outdrive and that would be the time to change the water pump. I am planning on doing it just not sure what I am in for as far as a do it your selfer.
thanks again Bond-o

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Go to the Adults Only section,... EVERYTHING is Well explained in there,...
Along with the factory Manuals...

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I washed out and dipped the housing in CLR and it looks like there is plenty of metal left. They do not make these housing anymore but they do use this one instead 87290a23(merc part number). A little pricey though. The balls cleaned up nice and now move freely the way they are supposed to, I will get some new pics up soon.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well here are the pics after the CLR. Do you think I should just replace or put it back on? The boat was kept in the water all boating season for many years. I will now be trailering it and flushing it with fresh water after each use.
132.jpg

131.jpg

130.jpg

129.jpg

I am not sure how it is supposed to look after all the salt water in it?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Sand blast it. Inspect whats left, then decide if replacement is required.

Bondo

Staff member

They do not make these housing anymore but they do use this one instead 87290a23(merc part number)

Ayuh,... They're pretty much a dime a dozen on the Used market,.... ebay, etc...

That 1 needs somemore serious cleanin' to see if it's got another lap left in it,...
Sandblasting would be the Easiest,....
A dremil,+ brushes might get most of it though... just scraping with a file would go along ways...

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I see something in that condition I just replace it. My thought being that my time is as valuable as my money I wouldn't want to spend several hours to clean a part that has very little life left in it at best only to find out it needs to be replaced any way.

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont know if you have cross referenced that OEM#, its GLM 13231. I put one on over a year ago with a new waterpump. All fit well.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

When I see something in that condition I just replace it. My thought being that my time is as valuable as my money I wouldn't want to spend several hours to clean a part that has very little life left in it at best only to find out it needs to be replaced any way.

Five minutes in a media blaster.