Pee Hole & Stream

willy0505

Recruit
Hey guys - I have tried to find the answer to my question but cannot find anything, so here goes.

I live in TX and I am trying to "winterize" my 200 HP Merc. Outboard (Nitro Series). So I drained and replaced the lower gear lube and then I put Marine Sta-Bil in the fuel system. So, next I was going to run the Sta-bil through the fuel system by letting the engine run for about 10 minutes or so.

So I hooked up the water muffs on the intake and started the engine. I turned on the water full blast and then cranked the engine. I let it run for about 10 seconds and no water stream from the pee-hole, so I shut it down. I cleaned out the line and then I hooked up the hose to flush the water system until I got a good stream out of the pee-hole. Then I cranked it again and let it run for about 30-45 seconds and nothing but a little "spitting" from the hole - just a little bit. Is it possible that there was just not enough pressure from the hose? Did I do anything bad from letting it run that long?

Any advice would help as this made me pretty nervous today on football Sunday no less.

Thanks,
Willy

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Pee Hole & Stream

It won't pee till the engine is up to operating temperature. All the water for the tell tale comes through the thermostats.

As long as there is water coming out of the prop hub, and you have water pressure (you do have a pressure gauge, don't you?) yer OK.

With cold water, usually takes 20 -40 seconds for a stream.

Feel the heads. If they're not scorching hot, it's good. If the spitting isn't steam or exhaust, it's OK. If it's steam, you don't have enough water flow, probably a water pump issue. If it's exhaust, you have some major engine trouble.

There's very little pressure at the tell-tale. It's pretty easy for a spider nest to stop it.

hope it helps
John

willy0505

Recruit

I do not actually have a water pressure gauge - but I do not think it ran for more than 40 seconds. I do not think there is anything in the pee hole - because when I hooked the hose up to the water system, I saw water come out of the pee hole.

Any other suggestions or maybe I was just being over cautious and it did not reach the operating temperature to spit out water.

j_martin

Admiral

I do not actually have a water pressure gauge - but I do not think it ran for more than 40 seconds. I do not think there is anything in the pee hole - because when I hooked the hose up to the water system, I saw water come out of the pee hole.

Any other suggestions or maybe I was just being over cautious and it did not reach the operating temperature to spit out water.

Can't tell much without a water pressure gauge. It is possible for enough water to bypass to cool it without opening the t-stats if the supply water is real cold. A stuck poppet can act that way, also. That behavior is classic for a failing water pump.

A little water will spit out before the stats open. There's small air bleed holes in each of them.

With a water pressure gauge, you can tell at a glance if yer water pump is failing, or the poppet is stuck either shut or open. Without it you're taking a wild *****ed scientific guess with a multi thousand dollar engine. It's the best 20 or 30 bucks you'll spend on your rig.

BTW, there's a pipe plug in the engine on top, just aft the flywheel. That's where you hook in a water pressure gauge.

hope it helps
John