Upgrading motors

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would upgrading a 140h to a 260h with out upgrading the outer unit or regearing have any draw backs? Would the top end speed and hole shot remain the same? Can a mercruiser alpha 1 gen 1 handle 260h?

I have done some research on it but still a little confused on how it all works for upgrading I/O.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Upgrading motors

The Alpha drive will handle up to 260 with no problem, from 260 to 320 you need to use a gentle throttle hand. The hole shot will be much improved for the first 20 ft, then the motor will redline using the 1.98 gear ratio.you will have no speed ,let alone top end to speak of.
V-8`s use the 1.50 or 1.47 ratio in the upper unit.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

What would be the best combo with a 260h? This will be going in a 86 4winns horizon 190, if it is worth the time and cash to upgrade. The boat weighs roughly 2000 pounds.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If this boat does not have the stringers to accept V-8 mounts, they will have to be made and properly glassed in place .Exaust system need to be changed , gas tank may need to be enlarged ,V8`s drink more.

Bondo

Staff member

Would upgrading a 140h to a 260h with out upgrading the outer unit or regearing have any draw backs?

Ayuh,... Basically speakin',..
You'll have to remove EVERYTHING between the V-belt,+ the Prop,...
Build a new engine Bed,...
Then replace EVERYTHING between the V-belt,+ the prop with a 260hp unit....

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like I will need to do more research, and possibly contact the coast guard to have it inspected before I take on the project. Also the cost of a replacement motor, outer, and other parts.

45Auto

Commander

possibly contact the coast guard to have it inspected

I suppose you would contact the Department of Transportation to come inspect a car before you put an engine in it?????

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I suppose you would contact the Department of Transportation to come inspect a car before you put an engine in it?????
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would imagine hes looking for an answer of whether it will be legal/safe etc.

looking at the tag on boat will tell hp rating !

fish

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it is to see if it is legal and safe. There are laws concerning hp and person/weight limits the coast guard is not leaniant on the laws they inforse. Like if someone was to get a dui on the water no only do you lose your boat but your trailer and tow rig all in one fell swipe.

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it is to see if it is legal and safe. There are laws concerning hp and person/weight limits the coast guard is not leaniant on the laws they inforse. Like if someone was to get a dui on the water no only do you lose your boat but your trailer and tow rig all in one fell swipe.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

so before you get all into it what does your Tag say on your boat
fo max HP/ Persons and weight ???

fish

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat is several thousand miles away, but from the brochure from 4winns seas that it came with up to a 260 and seas 10 people 2000 pound cap. I attached the brochure here.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... It'll cost you about the same money as just trading for the boat you Really want...

Are you doing the Labor for all this yourself,..?? or Hiring it out,..??

45Auto

Commander

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the tag on an I/O that shows max horsepower. The Coast Guard power regs apply ONLY to outboard powered boats less than 20' in length:

Subpart D?Safe Powering
183.51 Applicability.

This subpart applies to monohull boats less than 20 feet in length, except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats, that are designed or intended to use one or more outboard motors for propulsion.

? 183.53 Horsepower capacity.

You may want to familiarize yourself with 33 C.F.R. 183.53 Subpart D.

There's no restrictions on swapping in bigger engines, superchargers, nitrous oxide, turbochargers, multiple engines, etc, on an I/O.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will be doing the work my self. Yes I agree with finding the boat I really want.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the tag on an I/O that shows max horsepower. The Coast Guard power regs apply ONLY to outboard powered boats less than 20' in length:

You may want to familiarize yourself with 33 C.F.R. 183.53 Subpart D.

There's no restrictions on swapping in bigger engines, superchargers, nitrous oxide, turbochargers, multiple engines, etc, on an I/O.

Thanks for the info.

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

The posts have been good for this question on increasing HP but one thing still remains untold and perhaps is the biggest problem... The owner wants to do the work himself. If he's not a boat builder he's getting in deep with litigation and rules concerning boat builders.

Here's the real problem with that. If you take on a boat altering project (like described) you become a "boat builder" and the letigation that goes with it.

Not a huge problem so long as the owner keeps the boat. (Of course there are safety aspects that would be a problem if you are careless or uninformed on how to "build" boats).

Next is an insurance carrier issue. If you do not specify changes made to the boat you are violating fraudulent representation rules. This says nothing of "if" you were to sell it to someone else and they got hurt or killed.

Gotta tell you; the one who posted "get a new/different boat" was really the most correct. If you can't afford to buy a new/differnt boat the project of rebuilding most likely wouldn't be done correctly either. Shortcuts are taken when you are short of money and we know where that leads. Just not a good idea. :(

45Auto

Commander

If he's not a boat builder he's getting in deep with litigation and rules concerning boat builders.

This is total BS. Got ANY links to ANY court cases where ANY one has ever been prosecuted for swapping an engine in a car or boat???

If you take on a boat altering project (like described) you become a "boat builder" and the letigation that goes with it.

You don't legally become a boat builder unless you are comercially producing boats to sell for a profit. Swapping engines DOES NOT make you a boat builder. Your boat was still manufactured by Four Winns no matter what modifications you make to it. Have you ever seen a boat title where the original manufacturers name has been changed because of an engine swap or modification???

Next is an insurance carrier issue. If you do not specify changes made to the boat you are violating fraudulent representation rules.

Fraudulent representation rules??? What kind of crap is that? Got any links to these rules??? All insurance companies care about is the total horsepower in the boat. Most companies will not issue a standard policy for boats over 425 HP. Some don't even go that high. As long as you don't lie about the HP of your boat you'll be covered.

You can be sued for ANYTHING by ANYBODY at ANYTIME. Worrying about litigation for swapping an I/O boat motor is one of the biggest wastes of time I can imagine. When you sell it, put the engine size on the bill of sale and don't worry about it.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would I have to replace everything if I used another 4 cylinder like a 190h?

Bondo

Staff member

Would I have to replace everything if I used another 4 cylinder like a 190h?

Ayuh,... Going to a 470 is a serious Down-grade,+ you'll still have to change EVERYTHING...

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 140h now so 190h is still 50h more but its no 260h like I want. If I cant find a donor boat I wont even bother with the project it is sounding like it would be wise thing to do.