Frank & Chrysler Techs, Please help ID the mark in Chrysler 1970 35 HP magneto system

wickware

Lieutenant
Frank & Chrysler Techs, Please help ID the mark in Chrysler 1970 35 HP magneto system

Frank & Chrysler Techs, Please help ID the mark in Chrysler 1970 35 HP magneto system as a ref mark or not.

I would hate to break my engine down to see if the mark has ref to TDC, widest point gap or timing. I thought it would have been ?shown and addressed? in Clymer?s Chrysler outboard Service Handbook 25 to 135 hp ? 1966 ?1977. If it was I missed it. Or! Does the mark on the cam (? I think?) represent the highest point of point gap opening? Or! The 10 degrees past the highest point mentioned in Clymer?s service handbook on ?alternator models?? Or! Is the ref mark for setting the other set of points mentioned in the handbook? If so, why is that step necessary if you are going to set the second set of points as the first set (identifying the same location?)?

If you have an attachment showing the mark, please share it. I feel it should be showing on some of my Pics. The reduced quality is not allowing it and that was not my focus at the time of the Pics.

Thanks In Advance!
JOW

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Frank & Chrysler Techs, Please help ID the mark in Chrysler 1970 35 HP magneto sy

Re: Frank & Chrysler Techs, Please help ID the mark in Chrysler 1970 35 HP magneto sy

First, before we get into marks, it is necessary to understand that setting point gaps must be done ACCURATELY on each set, as small--extremely small differences between them cause bigger differences in timing between the two cylinders and loss of performance. So: Some Chrysler engines had two marks on the flywheel 180 degrees apart for TDC of each cylinder. That way you could test the timing on each cylinder to be certain they were both the same.

Some cams have a mark on them, some don't. Some have an arrow indicating direction and when installing the cam, the arrow must be up. The mark makes it easy to be certain both point sets are set at the same height on the cam-- If you only had one set of points, you would not need a reference line.

I never read the 10 degrees past in Clymers and I always set my points to .020 at the high spot on the cam or the mark if it has one. Most of these cams I have seen have a long dwell time so the high spot is a segment, not a point, and easy to find. Quite Frankly--no pun intended-- I don't set them much any more and this is the kind of thing I analyse when I get the flywheel off, then decide where to set the points. If I get it wrong, no biggie: I just pull the flywheel and do it again like I say below.

BTW: I have spoken to some old time Chrysler mechanics who insist the two cylinder engines run better with the points at .016 but I have never tried it. I can tell you that my alternator 50 started and ran with less than a .005 gap. Started and ran way better when I re-set them to .020

At any rate, you are not going to ruin the engine if the points are a little off and if you don't hit it the first time simply pull the flywheel and try again.

wickware

Lieutenant

Thank You Frank! This will help me and I feel many others. I agree that the engine will run when it?s possibly not at the best performance. Without knowing the best or experimenting, you?ll probably settle for good performance (as I feel I have since 1985). It powers & Planes!

JOW