Sluggish start and dies 15 sec after WOT

jesse_h97

Cadet
Hi, this is my first outboard its a 95 merc oil injected 90hp. It hasn't been run in years. I changed the gas tank bulb and lines going to the motor with merc products. filled the oil reserve and changed the lower unit oil. It idles and runs good with water muffs on. When I get it in the water its a very sluggish start I can put in gear with it at about half throttle and stays at sluggish and eventually speeds up to match the throttle position. I can then get it up to WOT but it will die after about 15 sec. This is very consistent. I just need someone to point me in the right direction as to where to start with this? I think the obvious fuel.

hdodt

Seaman
Re: Sluggish start and dies 15 sec after WOT

Best place to start is with the fuel. Have you tried pumping the primer bulb just before it dies? If it stays running, you have a fuel delivery problem. Check for any leaks in the lines, also check your fuel pump. A carb rebuild probably wouldnt be a bad idea either. Good luck.

D

jesse_h97

Cadet
Re: Sluggish start and dies 15 sec after WOT

Well I cut the merc fuel line and added an inline clear fuel filter before the it gets to the engine so I could see if it was getting fuel. Its the same type as whats on my holley 4bb on the bronco but it never gets full like on my holley carb. Do you think this is my problem? and is there an internal fuel filter under the engine cover? I'm searching for a diagram of my engine now.