Suzuki Tachometer opinion?

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First off, My motor is a 1995 Suzuki DT75 two stroke...So I hooked up a tach that I got free the other day which was set at 6P, on the back of the tach. (6 Pulses???). When I ran the motor it settled at 1100 rpm's and was idling as it normally sounds after warm. When I checked the manual, the table said that my motor should idle at 600-700 rpm's... I wasn't sure If maybe it( the tach) was reading double what it should, meaning that my motor was actually idling at approximately 550 rpm's instead of 1100 (what it was reading)... this seamed like it could be a reasonable explanation from a friend since the motor doesn't really sound like its idling 400 rpm's over what it should( 700). Im thinking that I need to wait to take it on the water and see what it reads at running speed and at WOT... then I'll know if its even close to correct... thanks again,Matt
:confused; Could anyone describe the specifications of tachometers and how they relate to suzuki and/or other outboards... i.e. what does the p stand for on the back of the tach (pulses or poles) or does is change with brand? also, If my motor is idling at 400 rpm's over what it should, what is the first step that I should do to correct this?
Thanks...

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suzuki Tachometer opinion?

my 75dt is an 1986, p stands for poles, mine is 12 pole. if tach doesn't have adjustable setting , you won't get correct rpm reading.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't confuse the number of poles an alternator has with the number of pulses it produces. They are different. A 12 pole alternator produces 6 pulses (one pulse is one AC cycle). You have the tach set correctly if you have a 12 pole alternator. Try this though. Turn the pulse setting dial back and forth several times to burnish the internal contacts. Then try it again. If the engine is idling high, idle speed needs to be adjusted which is normally part of the link & sync process. Don't ask how that's done. It is far too detailed to explain here so you really need a service manual for your engine and you need to follow the steps from beginning to end. Starting in the middle in an attempt to just adjust idle will certainly screw up timing advance. Link & sync synchronizes ignition timing with throttle opening.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot, great response... I will fiddle with the setting on the tach and if i choose to mess with the idle Will surely follow the complete process with my clymer manual... just one thing to clear up? the P setting on the tach refers to pulse or pole? from your reply I think you meant it does mean Pulse... thanks again!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I would find a manual for the tach you have to see what it has to say about the markings. Most ot the time you can find manuals at their web site and look it up by model #.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds good I'll search for it... Thanks again