Have to tell the wife eventually!!

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you ever heard the phrase, "It's easier to ask forgiveness that permission"? Well, that's where I am now. The wife knew I was looking at boats, and "probably" going to buy one. She didn't really like the idea, but after 20 years, she knows I'll do it and let her be mad for a couple of days. I always buy her something to make up for it! So, I finally found my boat, took it out for a trial, hired a surveyor, negotiated a price, and picked it up (all with out telling her)!! She came home from work and I was in a pretty good mood (boat was at our farm in a barn). Right as I was going to tell her all about my adventure and how much fun we are going to have this summer, she starts complaining about money. Christmas time, we have two kids graduating this year, senior pictures, need a new couch, blah, blah, blah. I figured my story could wait. That's been a month and I still haven't mentioned it! Any ideas on how to tell her without having to move on to the boat?:eek:

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Have to tell the wife eventually!!

I'm in the same boat as you are. I bought a 20' Tiara this past fall, and still trying to build up the courage to tell her.

Bifflefan

Commander

If you have gotten away with it this long just wait until summer and then say, "lets go look at a boat or two" Then tell her you got this one at a real steal and couldnt pass it up. Just dont mention the date at which this transaction took place and your in the clear. Unless your kids are like mine and they will bust you out. They get a real kick watching old Dad squirm. But Ive busted them a few times so maybe we are even on that.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Brave man.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

just before your birthday you have a buddy over and you go to the head.... while you are away he tells her that he know a real idiot who will sell the boat of your dreams for $500..... he cinvinces her to give him the money to surprise you.. he brings the boat over and you two have gas and beer money for the first ride.

gearjammer

Cadet

The longer you wait, the worse it's going to get. She's going to hire a good Lawyer and end up with a nice Boat..LOL Merry Xmas Honey I bought you a Boat!!!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

surrender and beg for mercy !!!

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

The longer you wait, the worse it's going to get. She's going to hire a good Lawyer and end up with a nice Boat..LOL Merry Xmas Honey I bought you a Boat!!!
Worse yet...we're all having fun with this, by the way, a divorce is imminent and all you'll end up with is a bed and a chair...she keeps the boat. Next time you're out standing on the bank fishing (still making payments on that boat) she and her new boyfriend come cruising by in your new boat.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

just before your birthday you have a buddy over and you go to the head.... while you are away he tells her that he know a real idiot who will sell the boat of your dreams for $500..... he cinvinces her to give him the money to surprise you.. he brings the boat over and you two have gas and beer money for the first ride.

Smoke... I like that idea! You're all probably right. She's a pretty good woman and expects it from me. She knows I wouldn't spend money that puts us in a bad position. I pulled it off with a motorcycle once, but didn't hide it from her. She said no, I bought it anyway. She went riding with me every chance we got. I'm sure that this will be the same way. I could even use some of the $500 Smoke got me to buy her something!!!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

My word, you guys are awful! I'll keep it at that. You know the right thing.. do it and grow a pair! All that time you could have spent sitting in your new boat making motor sounds, and you're hiding under the bed!

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now THAT is a plan.

Don't worry about divorce, no one ever gets divorced over buying a boat. They get divorced over restoring a boat. Besides, if you are making payments on a boat, then you couldn't afford it anyway.

Willyclay

Captain

Put a big red ribbon on it and have Santa put it in the driveway!

Triton II

Commander

Sure you should tell her. But buy her an eternity ring first!

Yo . Tell her when your boat is in her kitchen THEN its her business, Till then for her to 'git in tha kitchen and fix you some eggs"

wtxpatrick

Seaman Apprentice

I finally made my mind up last fall to buy the magnum fish and ski I had located 3 weeks earlier, after running it, kicking the tires, reading up on the 70 HP Evinrude. I towed it to the shop and showed my boss first, discussed the possibilities and so fourth. I said well, I guess I better go home, face the wrath, get it over with. I towed it home, and backed it up in the back yard then walked around the house and went in the front door. When my Russian bride of 5 years got off of the phone, I said" I'v got a surprise for ya baby" She said oh, another watermelon ? I said no, it's better than a watermelon, go look. I followed her out the back door and when she saw it, she was thrilled, turned around and hugged me. She was pretty happy when I brought that boat home.
I wish she was that happy when I buy a shotgun or a rifle, but I am still pretty fortunate. Good luck with your dilemma.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Let's just say that the cost of the jewelry that you are going to have to buy her, will go up with every day that you don't fess up.

BTW, you'll be buying the couch too - the jewelry is just so you don't have to sleep on that couch for a month!

???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

better buy a sleeper sofa, or make sure there are no sharp objects in the bedroom.

Philster

Captain

Wow.

My fiance saw a picture of a performance boat on my computer and said, "I like that kind of boat. I want a cool boat. Let's buy a boat."

Then she wrote me a blank check and all I did was keep her updated and showed her some pics as I searched.

Worse yet...we're all having fun with this, by the way, a divorce is imminent and all you'll end up with is a bed and a chair...she keeps the boat. Next time you're out standing on the bank fishing (still making payments on that boat) she and her new boyfriend come cruising by in your new boat.

ouch!