Give it to me straight...how bad is it?

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"Hello, my name is Paul, and I have an addiction."

Ok, buying a boat in November may have been one of the dumbest things I've done so far in this life. (it's -20C today)

No, not the purchase...the waiting.

Here it is outside my kitchen window.
/Users/pandmar/Desktop/IMG_4929.JPG

I think about it constantly. Not just this boat...but boating. I lay in bed dreamin' about the 'thump' of water against the hull. I find all kinds of random excuse to pop the cover snaps and stick my head in. Pictures of boats isn't cutting it anymore, no, my addiction is beyond that, I need to see them in water. I can be found lurking on youtube looking for another vid....any vid of a boat in the water. (go ahead feed the addiction) My wife looked at what I was watching the other day, just a steady drown from the laptop speakers yet I was fixated on the screen, she saw that I was watching a vid of a mid 80's boat...cruising, just the wake. She looked at me with an expression I didn't immediately recognize...I think it was pity or sympathy. I've heard rumblings of 'intervention'...I don't care....

It's the beginning of a looong cold winter.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Give it to me straight...how bad is it?

Sounds pretty bad, hang in there, spring is coming...

boomer2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's bad guy..it's bad. :D

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Actually you make me feel bad. I went to check on my boat in storage yesterday. I wanted to take her out, but it was cloudy & in the mid 60s with fairly strong winds. I thought to myself it's too cold to go out, so I cruised the beach that afternoon;)

DBreskin

I have the same problem; I bought my first powerboat at the end of October and the first chance I'll get to put her in the water will probably be in April.
To make matters worse, the boat is stored outside my office window where I get to look at it all day. Today I went out and wiped the ice and snow off the cover.
It's going to be a loooong winter.:(

paulspaddle

You Florida boys are salt to the wound.

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Ay, but I'm a fairly new resident. My boat would have long since been winterized had I not transfered, so I feel your pain.

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

I feel your pain and am right there with ya, Paul. I spent all summer looking for boats, saving and waiting and finally in November found the perfect boat for me, at the price I could pay... well now my beautiful 26 foot Crownline is sitting in my driveway just waiting for spring. I spend my days on forums, youtube, and staring out the window.

Our boat (on the way home at a truck stop):

OURboat1.jpg

paulspaddle

Wow...nice boat....start a thread, post some pics!

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear ya Paul, My boat has been stored for barely a month now and its killing me. To make it worst, I started receiving all the stuff i've ordered online, i.e. new wakeboard, tower speakers, new fat sacs, wake rope, wake vest, and the list goes on. I actually created a shrine in the basement with all my wakeboard and boating goodies...my wife is making calls to have me commited!

captmello

Captain

It really is bad, isn't it. The first winter is the worst. Laying in bed at night...

I store my boat at my buddy's so I don't have to look at it.

I have to come clean however, I did pull my outdrive and put it in my shop in case I need to do some tinkerin'.

Hang in there. Only another five months. Hahahasobsob...

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Or take it this way:
-You won't get stuck in the middle of the lake with motor dead and storm approaching.
-your boat won't sink
-you won't overheat the motor
-you won't hit the rock with your prop/outdrive
-you won't feel bad by not going boating when weather is good, and you can't, or don't want to go.
-you won't run into some kind of idiot at the ramp, who will spoil the rest of your day.
And all this will change suddenly in 5 months.:)

LeisureLady

Seaman Apprentice

Do you think the other winters aren't so bad? I hope so. I have my 'shrine' in the corner of the living room. All my supplies from iboats and everywhere piled up sadly waiting. lol.

Thanks, Paul, I never did start a thread. I had this forum link a while back but never posted. I guess all the people on here seemed so imposing with their knowledge. LOL When I saw your post here I just had to shout out, because it was just like what I'm dealing with, and obviously others too. :)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Mine is parked in the back yard just in front of my shop.That way i can tinker with it anytime.
Last year i had the lower unit off and on the work bench.It got stripped,painted,pressure tested and new impeller.
I think this winter i will pull the power head and do all new gaskets.
I have a complete gasket kit that has been on the shelf since last summer.

It helps to work on it over the winter...;)

*EdC*

Or take it this way:
-You won't get stuck in the middle of the lake with motor dead and storm approaching.
-your boat won't sink
-you won't overheat the motor
-you won't hit the rock with your prop/outdrive
-you won't feel bad by not going boating when weather is good, and you can't, or don't want to go.
-you won't run into some kind of idiot at the ramp, who will spoil the rest of your day.
And all this will change suddenly in 5 months.:)

Guys,
for what it's worth, I was in a Target store the other day. When my wife pointed out, they have started putting out Womans swim suits.... ahhh.... that made me feel a whole lot better;)

paulspaddle

Good advice!

I'll be better prepared next winter.

...but I still have to get through this one. Will have to take the boat to the farm asap and get it out of sight.

We take our 3 year old to the library once a week to get books. He always picks books with fire trucks, race cars..typical boy themes...now he's picking more books on boats and ships....anything nautical. I don't discourage him. :cool:

gobbler boat

Seaman Apprentice

Okay Paul, remain calm. Don't do anything rash. We can get you through this. I think what we all need is just one more little item to help us cope in these situatuions. A simple little 30' x 50' heated shed w/ an oversized garage door so that we can keep our babies warm and cozy, in addition to being able to go out tinker, clean and polish them, and listen to the stereo whenever we want. With a Satelite hook-up in our new shed we could even watch tv from our boat! If this is not possible, you can do what Tiger did. Get six girlfriends, let your wife find out about it, and be on every news channel known to man. I guarantee that will get your mind off the boat! Best of Luck.