1998 Johnson Fast Strike 115HP Motor

PBELLAIR

Recruit
I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a 1998 Johnson Fast Strike 115HP Motor in the near future and was wondering if these engines are good engines. I have heard that the Fast Strike engines had some problems when they first came out but wasn't sure if they corrected the problems. Any information regarding these engines, any potential concerns, or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Johnson Fast Strike 115HP Motor

i have not heard anything in particular about them.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1998 Johnson Fast Strike 115HP Motor

I've read that the 60-degree V4s were excellent overall but the early ones (1995 to ?) had rectifier problems, but most owners (if they had any problems) would have had them fixed by now.

Like you I have been doing some research, and that is why I felt comfortable buying a 1998 Evinrude Intruder. I believe the Johnson Faststrike is identical to the Evinrude Intruder, except the Johnson is carbureted and the Evinrude FICHT DI (apparently it was only the V6 FICHT that had problems, not the V4s). The carbureted V4s were even more reliable, but used more gas, so as long as the motor was taken care of, the Johnson qualifies as one of the best performing, most reliable out there.