How can I winterize without starting the engine?

ZmOz

Captain
As many of you read a little while ago, I accidently ran my '74 150hp inline 6 Mercury without oil - and it is now terminally ill. I'm going to be replacing the motor, but I'm hoping to save as many parts as I can to sell. The engine will turn over, but not start. What do you suggest I do to oil it up? I know I can spray some oil in the spark plug holes, but what about the crankshaft and everything? Whats the best way I can protect all the internals from rusting?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: How can I winterize without starting the engine?

You can still spray fogging oil into the carb and crank engine,just not as much as if it were running.I assume you did eventually put some oil in the motor.You can put some more oil in each valve cover to coat everything,and drain all the water you can out of it. charlie

ZmOz

Captain

This is an outboard - there is no oil pump or valve cover. :)

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so the object is to protect a heavily damaged engine from rust?<br />How about this, find a drum or trash can just larger then the top of the motor. Take the motor and turn in upside down into the drum or can. Maybe place some liners in this can first.<br />Now dump a couple of gallons of cheap cooking oil into the bag and tie off the bag around the lower unit.<br /><br />Even cheap vegetable oil will keep rust from the atmosphere at bay. The oil may not even damage the plastic parts since this oil is stored in plastic.

sloopy

Commander

You should cover it with wd40 and take the thermostat cover off and poor antifreeze down it.