getting the boat off the trailer

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
Re: getting the boat off the trailer

or if i paint the boat on the trailer, how do i get the small areas where the bunks hit it?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

jack it up and put blocks between the bunks and the boat

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Male 2 V block's out of a 4x4 or bigger and use 2 floor jacks and stabilize the gunwhales with 2x4's and lift her easily and just enough to get to the bottom. Thats what I did when I replaced my bunks last summer worked pretty good just make sure you find the center of gravity. I seen a guy do this and he removed the whole trailer out from under the boat just easing it forward little by little but he made consideralbly larger v blocks to hold the boat while he sandblasted and painted the trailer

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

how do you get a 5000lb boat off a bunk trailer???

The easy answer is to put the boat in the water. :rolleyes:

On land, here's a suggestion:
Lower the trailer tongue as far as possible. This will raise the stern of the boat. While the stern is raised, block up the transom with suitable support. After blocking up the transom, raise the trailer tongu as far as possible; this will lower the stern end of the trailer leaving the transom on the blocks (off the trailer). Now block up the bow. After the bow is blocked, lower the trailer and the boat is off the trailer.
Of course your trailer is still trapped under the boat. You can pull the trailer as far forward as possible, until a trailer crossbeam hits the blocks supporting the bow. Then raise the trailer to lift the bow enough to unweight the bow blocks and replace them behind the trailer crossbeam. You may need to do this a few times to completely free the trailer. Once you get to the axle, raising and lowering won't help since you're at the pivot point. The bow is relatively light (compared to the stern) so you should be able to use an automotive jack or similar to lift the bow.

Be absolutely sure the boat is safely supported. Use this advice at your own risk.

Last edited:

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

i think i like fat fannys idea, should be able to get it up 2 or 3 in and get it, my bunks stand up and the skinny part of the board touches the boat so just alittle part of it hits.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you can then take the tires and wheels off and drop the trailer down for even more room