Merc 4.3 - Winterize for 3-days?

basalt51

Seaman
I have a 4.3 Mercruiser and its going to be ~25 degrees the next three nights (40's during the day). I know, not that cold to what most of the country is going through. I plan to take it back out in a week or two. Are there just a few things I should do or should I go through the full blown winterizing procedure?

Is there an easy way for me to just keep the engine compartment warm enough (without blowing it up) during the night? Does the out-drive need to be protected from freezing too?

I drain it as well as I can at the ramp before I leave, letting the outdrive down until it stops dripping.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc 4.3 - Winterize for 3-days?

Just drain the raw water cooling system so it doesn't freeze and damage the engine. The term winterizing is used for long term storage over the winter months.

Go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum and download the service manual. It tells you how to drain the systems.

ziggy

Admiral

just drain all the water out of engine and manifolds. + anything else that has water in it.... drive down. it'll self drain when all the way down. .

if i remember right. this is what my mercruiser service manual calls an extended season. freezing overnight temps, boating the next day... i use the above method at end of season every year as every year overnight lows are below freezing but i still wanna go boating within the next day or two...

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it in a garage or outside? I have just put a light bulb in the engine compartment when I wasn't done for the season and it was getting a little cold.

basalt51

Seaman

Is it in a garage or outside? I have just put a light bulb in the engine compartment when I wasn't done for the season and it was getting a little cold.

Driveway. I'm definitely tempted to go that route. I can drop a worklight into the bottom of the compartment and leave it on. Its going to be clear and dry here so running an extention cord shouldn't be an issue.

At this point, I don't think there is any way I can reach the block and manifold drains.

sdoomaha

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Two extension cords and two light bulbs? Go to your nearest auto parts store and buy a dipstick or block heater? Hate to see you lose a block because your one 49 cent light bulb you are relying on burns out.

basalt51

Seaman

Maybe I'll just stuff all my christmas lights in there ;)

:D

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

What kind of boat is this installed in? the manifold drains should be no problem...and when you pull off the bottom of the big water pump hose on the front of the engine a lot of water drains.. and it's easy to pull the raw water intake hose off the thermo housing and point it down in the bilge to drain it....but you still gotta get those block drains (one on each side...one in front of the starter and one near the dipstick on the other side) out and poke the holes or else you cold be in for a lot of $$...in my old boat....I move the rear seats foward....followed by the wood bulkhead behind them...pull out the side divider wood panels...and I can get to all the drains with no problems...takes all of 15 min....

Attachments

• winterize 015ab.jpg
    winterize 015ab.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0

basalt51

Seaman

1993 19' fisher aluminum. It seems like I should be able to pull all the stuff off like you did, but its all aluminum, and I don't see anywhere to unbolt anything except the little top access door (what the picture is looking down through).

IMG_0422_small.jpg

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I just finished up wintering my boat and for just a little added protection I put 2 magnetic block heaters on the sides of the engines. It got below freezing the other night, I went to have a look at the engines the next day and the whole engine was warm to the touch. I know I got almost all of the water out,enough that if it does freeze it will have enough expansion room not to hurt anything, but there are power outlets at the marina next to each boat so I figured what the heck, the heaters aren't going to hurt anything...

basalt51

Seaman

Two light bulbs ended up working great. The whole engine compartment was almost 40? this morning (lower unit on kicker was 10?!).

I'll try to find something more permanent when I can. I'm not sure anyone even sells block heaters and such around here (central valley, CA). I'll have to look online.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't be stupid, drain the block and manifolds!!!

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Good gosh. How did you sleep that night knowing only a light bulb was keeping it from freezing? A 10F night would of surly let some freezing taking place. I wouldnt get a bit of sleep. :eek:

basalt51

Seaman

Don't be stupid, drain the block and manifolds!!!

Done :p

Only took 5 screws to remove the engine cover. Just had to find them. Drained both sides of the block (one side needs a new sleeve and plug) main hose, and manifold hoses. Couldn't get the power steering cooler hose off cause the whole thing was moving!

Can I use this for the block? Or is it only for manifolds that have them?

http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser_Dr...5600664--**********.373210716--view_id.270052

ziggy

Admiral

right on man. that's the way to go for sure.
Couldn't get the power steering cooler hose off cause the whole thing was moving!
that's a bummer, maybe try again tomorrow? if there's time before the snow storm hits ya...

if yer empty now, the main components are protected with air. that'll work... ya did the right thing for best chances of no issue next spring.. one more try on the cooler hose???

Bondo

Staff member

Can I use this for the block? Or is it only for manifolds that have them?

Ayuh,... That's Right, the block is 1/4" pipe...