finishing new trailer parts

99seapro

Cadet
hi everyone great site lots of info. i have a karavan trailer and ordered new parts such as fender supports and spring hangers. all of the parts came with a yellow zinc finish. iwas wondering if i should put them on as is or cold galvanize them. i have access to sandblasting and powdercoating if this would be a better option. either way should i remove the zinc first or just scuff it with some sandpaper? i appreciate any help. thanks

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: finishing new trailer parts

is that karavan trailer as in travel trailer in the U.S.?
I guess it depends on what you want it to look like ten years from now.
Scuffing up the zinc plate would be good enough for anything else you might want to apply.
I have never used that cold galvanizing in a spray can. Only because I can not imagine how it can be anywhere near as good as hot dip galvanizing.

For under carriage stuff, I prefer to spray it with oily tar based automotive undercoating. The stuff that seems to take years to become dry and not sticky.

99seapro

Cadet

thanks for replying so quickly jeeperman the trailer is a boat trailer that i use in both salt and freshwater.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got a year 2000 galvanized trailer that has seen about 50,000 miles in mostly salt water. I like the cold galvanizing for covering up rusty spots (nuts, bolts etc.) and don't hesitate to let it get on the galvanizing but have never found it necessary to use it on galvanized parts. The only drawback is that the cold galvanizing is a slightly different color.​

From my experience hot dip galvanizing is the absolute best, electro galvanizing is next, followed by powdercoating, then paint. Which means I would keep the galvanizing even if I intended to put something else on.​

Personally I would just put the parts on the trailer and if they didn't hold up, then cold galvanize them.​

99seapro

Cadet

thanks for the info jeffnick color doesn't matter just durability. does the cold galvanizing work better if i preheat the parts?

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't. I'd rather have the stuff flow into the small crevices than dry too fast.​