Painting the outdrive

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to patch a few holes on my outdrive and need to paint it. I imagine I need to sand any rough areas to make everything fairly smooth. What primer and black paint should I use? I'm sure Merc. has some $20 a quart paint, but is there something I can get at Home Depot or a boat store that I can use? Should I use a primer or does Marine paint not need it? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Painting the outdrive

Rust-Oleum.

Much better than the Merc rattle can paint.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

How funny, I figured I'd be laughed at mentioning something as easy and common as Rust-Oleum. Should I prime?

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

You need to use a zinc chromate primer

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

I have my doubts about zinc cromate primer. Last winter I stripped my outdrives completely, alumipreped, and alodined them, than put zinc cromate primer and a spray paint (both Evinrude from West Marine). After a season in the water the paint came of completely (pressure washer completed the strip job), while the primer stays perfectly on. Somewhere on marine forums I read a suggestion not to use zinc cromate primer.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have used Zinc Chromate on my Johnson outboard....2 seasons now and the paint still looks new.

If i were just touching up i would skip the primer and just sand the areas a little and use several light coats of paint.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Paint won't stick to bare aluminum.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Will move this to the restoration forum, lots of painting of aluminum done there.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Paint won't stick to bare aluminum.

Yea,If he is sanding down through the original primer and paint then some primer would be a good idea.
I have done touch ups on drives with very small bare areas without a problem and not use primer.

I know when i stripped my motor down to bare aluminum that factory primer was a pain to get off...It was some thick gray primer.
Early 80's motor and not sure what the factory used back in those days but it was good stuff.

The Moeller Johnson white i painted with after the Zinc-Chromate takes forever to cure.
The first paint job i hit the lake 3 days later and it peeled off in areas!
I was PO'd after all that work!
After the second complete repaint i waited and let it cure a couple weeks in the sun and never had a problem.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems straight forward enough (I hope). I'll sand rough edges and any bad looking spots - then prime - let it cure for several days - and paint with Rust-Oleum - and let that cure a good week before the boat goes in the water.

When I changed the prop I noticed some white, hard stuff that looked like it was growing on the metal. It was inside the housing where the prop shaft is. Is this corrosion and how do I take care of it? It looks like I'd have to take apart the lower unit to remove the shaft and really sand and paint the area.

Thanks again for the help.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Best thing you could do is just clean that up behind the prop...it is corrosion.
Tape around the shaft and seal and shoot some paint in there...it won't hurt anything.