Used a hydrofoil today - taking it off tomorrow

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been looking for a way to get a little more umpgh when I get on the throttle. I'm going to change props and even thought about a new carb. So I put a hydrofoil on to help the boat plain and get up to speed faster. Well, it sure changed the way the boat handled in a way I don't like; the steering is different depending on the angle of the outdrive. It didn't seem to plain a heck of a lot faster, but I really have to fine tune the trip or it will bow down in the water and the boat will slow.

The bummer is I had to drill into the anti-ventalation plate. What should I use to fill the holes? They're 1/4" diameter.

D_J_Winn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Used a hydrofoil today - taking it off tomorrow

A buddy of mine had a similar issue, and he used a product called SeaRepair Aluminum, its an epoxy-based putty with aluminum fillers. (QuikAluminium is a comparable product.) It?s strong enough to fabricate, rebuild or repair most aluminum components, including engine parts, and it?s a quick, and permanent (mostly used for aluminum boat). It cures steel hard, is solvent-free so it doesn?t shrink, yet is sandable & paintable.

Bondo

Staff member

Well, it sure changed the way the boat handled in a way I don't like;

Ayuh,... No surprises there....

Marine-tex, or JB weld will fix those holes...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Shoulda come here first, we could have saved you some money abd alot of agrevation. I guess we will be seeing that 'foil on ebay soon.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

It'll be back at Bass Pro Shop tomorrow. I should've asked around here first and that taught me. Thanks for the help.