Re-fit Changing From Volvo To Omc

clinton2006

Recruit
Hi all i have a 1987 fletcher ski boat fitted with a volvo penta 2.31 b series engine and a 290 leg and would like to fit a newer omc 2004 3.0ltr 4 cyl engine and leg, i have been trying to locate a drawing for the cut out in the transom to see if they are the same, i would like to have fitted a late mercruiser unit and leg but here in the UK a 10 year old one would still cost around 3500 dollars but i have the chance of picking up a OMC unit and leg 6 yrs old for 900 dollars and with the way work is over here sounds good to me
ive never done anything like this before so any advice would be appreciated.
All the best Clint

captmello

Captain
Re: Re-fit Changing From Volvo To Omc

OMC's been out of business since the mid '90s. Not sure what your looking at with a 2004 OMC. Whats wrong with your Volvo?

zbnutcase

Commander

Is it an SX cobra? 'nutcase

Bondo

Staff member

a newer omc 2004 3.0ltr 4 cyl engine and leg,

Ayuh,... Like Capt. Mello,...
I'd love to hear how you found an 04 OMC, when the company OMC went Out of business in 1995,..??

clinton2006

Recruit

Hi the block on my volvo has a gaping hole through the side due to a broken con rod and the leg has seen better days so with money alarm ringing i have looked high and lo for a reasonably priced replacement in the UK and the OMC unit was there for the taking any second hand merc or volvo units are snapped up by the re-manufacturers before anyone else gets a look in.
I have now read many articles on US forums kicking the hell out of OMC which has made me re-think my options. I had made a few contacts in the marine world down in Islamorada (keys) but on trying to contact them it seems the recession has hit them quite bad down there and stock is held to a minimum at present, up untill last year i used to travel across the pond twice a year jan and may for the sailfish and tarpon what a great place to be
but the wife told me ive got to stop that when i told her weve got to cut down. Anyway back to my origonal question i think i am going to look for a new unit your side of the water and get it shipped over, its ironic but volvos are still a lot cheaper in the US than in the UK but if i can get a merc unit at the right price i think i will go for that as they seem to be the most reliable
Cheers Clint

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

just look for the proper engine. I'm sure yours could be rebuilt using the block from a Volvo car.

whoever is trying to sell you a 6 year old OMC is trying to scam you

captmello

Captain

One other thought, the hole in your transom is too big for any Volvo outdrive newer than about 1993 or any Merc ever made. If you go with something newer you'll have to redo the transom.

if i can get a merc unit at the right price i think i will go for that as they seem to be the most reliable

This is not the case. Volvo's hold the edge on reliability. IMO.

Bondo

Staff member

i have looked high and lo for a reasonably priced replacement in the UK and the OMC unit was there for the taking any second hand merc or volvo units are snapped up by the re-manufacturers before anyone else gets a look in.

Ayuh,.... When I do a Refit, I shop around for a Complete Donor Boat, instead of Just a donor driveline...
I can buy the Whole boat, Cheaper than Just a motor, or Just a drive...

I'm still curious about this 04 OMC that was built 10 Years after the manufacturer went Out of business...

clinton2006

Recruit

I think due to my ignorance as to what is out there and what i actually need
someone saw a nice opening to make a quick few bucks and now armed with a bit more info it has beco very apparent that the chap who mentioned the difference in transom cut out sizes is quite right the cut out in my boat is very large in comparison the the later models and thats my origonal question answered thanks
Cheers Clint

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Yep the last of the OMC sterndrives were joint venture products made with Volvo...SX style drives made from 94-98 and that was it...OMC sold their sterndrive operation to Volvo at that point....
The main limiting factor here is the old style Volvo drive system with it's bigger transom hole...it's probably in the long run cheaper if you keep that system since doing the glass work to convert it to use a Merc Alpha would be pricey unless you can do it yourself...The only relatively easy conversions out there are OMC Cobra to Volvo SX or to Merc Alpha with the SEI conversion kit....