chicago loop triangle cruise days are over

sox 1

Cadet
With the lawsuits filed to close the o'brian and chicago lock the loop/triangle cruise will come to an end.

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: chicago loop triangle cruise days are over

that stinks!!! why is there a law suit to close the locks?

woosterken

riversrme

Seaman Apprentice

They are trying to keep the Asian Carp from entering the Great Lakes. There is evidence that they have already gotten past the electric barrier.

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's really too bad, a lot of Chicago architecture is seen best from those cruises.

EsoxRanger

Seaman

What would be worse would be to have yet another invasive invade the Great Lakes,The worst one yet, which could potentially devestate the natural (and stocked) fish stocks.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

No one can stop it, period.
Closing the canal or river with a lock, wall, electric barrier might slow them down a year or two.
If they detected them up stream already, it is already too late.

Funny how the scientist put blame on boats and ships carrying eggs into virgin waters.

I guess those same scientist have no idea how a fresh dug pond, miles from the nearest fish bearing pond, lake or river ends up with fish in two or three years?

riversrme

Seaman Apprentice

I think you are right jeeperman. They will eventually get into the great lakes by transfer of eggs by birds or some nut who will put them into Lake Michigan for the hell of it.

TilliamWe

Banned

Funny how the scientist put blame on boats and ships carrying eggs into virgin waters...

Yeah, I disliked that implication as well. Boats are not what spread these fish, the fish themselves are doing it.

gearjammer

Cadet

Well' they say that they have found them in Lake Erie already so how are they going to fight it...

riversrme

Seaman Apprentice

It is my understanding that the locks are open. The Carp barrier is also open to traffic with some limitations. Appointments must be made to pass through and no boats less than 20 feet are allowed through the barrier.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, truly sad. We went with Sox1 last summer on the cruise. Looks like it was our first and last. We were really looking forward to doing a couple times this year.

I guess now it will be one day on the river for a slow cruise downtown and the next day on the lake for partying:D.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I will be a bit more sad if the entire great lakes system is infected with these chinese pests. This can all be blamed on the morons downriver who caused this problem by stocking their ponds in Arkansas or Missouri.

Closing the canal is to try to stop the spread, scientists are aware that the fish spread to the Mississippi when ponds flooded back in the early 90s.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My understanding SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the US) has turned down the suit to close the locks so this has become a mute point.