78 evinrude 35hp water pump

seanrburn

Recruit
replaced water pump assembly complete then ran test and pumped great. sat for a week, no water pumping. next day before dropping lower unit again i tried it, pumping water great. ran it for half hour no problem. went in ate lunch came out hour later tried it again, no water. any thoughts????

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 evinrude 35hp water pump

Did you backflush it while it was apart ???
Could be a piece of the old impeller blocking the waterways.
Welcome to iboats

jasper60103

Commander

What water pump kit# did you use? Did it have the new style impeller with kind of a plastic wedge shape pin? Also, on the impeller, the open slot for the pin should face down.

huckelberry

Seaman

I'm trying to remember if the 35 hp has water inlets on both sides of the foot, indicating the flush adaptor might have been installed with the hose fitting on the wrong side. Or you might have done what I have done before and used a can full of water and did not fill it full enough. Water line has to be above water pump for it to operate.

seanrburn

Recruit

Did you backflush it while it was apart ???
Could be a piece of the old impeller blocking the waterways.
Welcome to iboats

yes flushed everything. i actually changed the shaft from long to short by removing the 5 inch spacer.

seanrburn

Recruit

What water pump kit# did you use? Did it have the new style impeller with kind of a plastic wedge shape pin? Also, on the impeller, the open slot for the pin should face down.

thank you . i will look to see if i put it in wrong. im gonna pull it down today.

seanrburn

Recruit

I'm trying to remember if the 35 hp has water inlets on both sides of the foot, indicating the flush adaptor might have been installed with the hose fitting on the wrong side. Or you might have done what I have done before and used a can full of water and did not fill it full enough. Water line has to be above water pump for it to operate.

yes it has inlets on both sides. they have to be removed to drop the foot because the shift linkage nut is inside. that took me about an hour to figure out. anyway the water is high enough in the drum so im going to start over today.