78 Starcraft aluminum deep v walk through

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
She is the most inexpensive boat we have that we've paid for so far. We drove all the way from Birmingham, AL to ATL to check her out but she was not as advertised. We offered 500 for her, the trailer and the nearly pristine evinrude 48 special. The owner turned us down. She was supposed to be lake ready but had a soft spot in the deck, would not crank, the alarm sounded all the time and it looked like she had not been washed in a year.

About a week later the owner called us and wanted to sell her. I told him to pull the wood out of her and haul her across the scales and he could get $200 for her. He told me he would take that if he didn't have to touch her.

She has had a carb adjustment (cranked and ran/runs like new), new deck, a full sand down on the hull sides, sand down on the trailer, new everything on the trailer, new primer and paint on the hullsides and trailer. Hit the bottom with paint but not really because it was not prepped properly. Only got a new deck after we pulled back the carpet to do a patch and found particle board soaked in thompson's for the decking - needless to say - all of that came out and got redone.

She has recently had the tar and unknown flexible sticky junk patching on the hull bottom cut off with a razor scraper. She leaked a little before and leaks a lot now.

We are not interested in having her welded for every leak. What should we do to seal her up?

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 78 Starcraft aluminum deep v walk through

Tighten up the rivits ..... Reseal

Have someone on the inside with a heavy backup like a body working dolly or a large 2lb hammer. Then on the outside, hit the rivit with a smaller hammer. This will recrush the blind rivit and tighten the joint. After you have tighten all the loose rivits use Gulvit on all the inside seams.

sprintst

Commander

Gluvit...flexible epoxy. :) I scraped out and wire brushed all seams, pressure washed and let dry before apply the Gluvit. It will flow while warm to fill in any possible leaks and stay flexible.

You found the right group here. Take a look through my posts as well as a lot of more experienced people I have learned from... I'm sure they will follow with posts as well.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So we have to pull all the 18 coat epoxy painted decking? We would really like a "don't pull the 25 hours of hard work on the decking" solution.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone want to trade a light duty trailer for a super heavy duty teenee of 1978 vintage with new everything? If I have to hang her, I might as well try to trade off the old trailer that is about 5 times too heavy for the craft.

Brand new lights, bunks, real bunk carpet, paint (not perfect but a heavy coauple of coats) and bearing buddies.

sprintst

Commander

I've seen boats totally Gluvited from the outside as well.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now you're talking what we want to hear! We know it's probably not the best way to go but.......

Wait - do I not have to post a pic, being a starcraft and all?

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

PC080375.jpg

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used Gluvit on the inside and the outside.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We may be putting a couple of nice thick and slick (foam brush) coats on come a couple of warm days.

Thanks everyone - after reading up on this particular epoxy product - it may be exactly what we are looking for.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's snowing here right now so not anytime soon. Central Alabama is pouring snow. Geno was right - we are too far north.
IMGP4705.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMGP4137.jpg

Trailer - um, sorry, guess everyone can see that.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hung, scraped to the bareness and sprayed.
IMGP4138.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Decker's crack - we apologize.
4805_1183382746354_1281789242_50926.jpg

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wait - did the steering go in on the top or the bottom of the steering shaft?
4805_1183382426346_1281789242_50925.jpg

First try. I thought it was locked up because the more I turned it to the right - the more it went left. Husbands......