1995 Sunbird Corsair 170 Rebuild Question

RYANHASADD

Recruit
Feb of last year I purchased a 1995 17 foot Sunbird Corsair 170 Fish/Ski. The boat appeared to be in excellent condition. The motor, a 1995 Johnson 112hp SPL turned over but would not start as it had been sitting for around three years. I picked up the boat, motor, and trailer up for 1800 and have already had to put more than 1000 dollars into it since then. I had the carbs re-built, had new fuel lines installed, changed the LU oil and motor runs very strong and doesnt have a scratch on it. I used the boat a few times and noticed when cleaning it out one day that it had some significant amounts of wood rot all throughout the inner hull. I was doing some research and noticed that the cap can be removed and new wood can be placed under it. I am assuming that the transom and stringers are going to need some work as well. My question is, Has anyone undertaken a job like this before? the deck itself is going to come out with the cap (or inner boat) so if I take this job on all ill have to do is fiberglass the stringers, spray in some new foam or some kind and fiberglass over the wood that will go under the deck cap after I replace it. Would it be cheaper for me to just find another boat to install my motor on. I found a 17 foot Mckee craft on a trailer with a bad 90hp Evinrude today for 950 bucks. The transom and floor of that boat were in excellent shape so the thought of swapping the motors crossed my mind. I decided not to purchase the mckee craft due to research that i read about older water logged mckee craft problems. So basically, should I find another boat or would it be worth it to tear into this sunbird and fix it up?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1995 Sunbird Corsair 170 Rebuild Question

Would it be cheaper for me to just find another boat to install my motor on.

Ayuh,... Absolutely Cheaper...

If you wander down to the restoration forum, there's a BaZillion stories of guys who've done it, on thousands of different hulls...
You'll find the answers to your above questions there..