Suzuki 115hp edi behaving funny

Kneeland

Recruit
While driving (about 3800 rpm), the motor felt like it disengaged and started to rev while we slowed down significantly. We reduce speed on the gas lever and the revving stopped and the boat was behaving just fine at a lower speed. We got going again and it did again. After slowing down for a while we were able to resume fast speed without further issues. We also had a problem getting into reverse a couple times the day before; it felt like the link was jumping without engaging the gear.
I looked in the maintenance book and I couldn't find anything that mentioned this. I am thinking that the linkage may need to be tightened but that is about the best I can come up with. Any idea what it could be?

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Suzuki 115hp edi behaving funny

At first I was thinking that you had prop slip going on... But that should not cause it not to engage into reverse...

It could be that you shift linkage needs to be adjusted and the forward gear was slightly fallin gout of position causing the high revs and spedd slowdown.

Check the linkage and let us know. Also, mark the prop hub and look for slipage. It is possible that slight slippage and a misadjusted cable could be working together to cause the issue...

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki 115hp edi behaving funny

You and Knight are probably right going for the linkage. Make sure you check the condition of your lower unit oil as well looking for metal flakes and or water.