Pivot Shaft? Removal

Kevdog540

Cadet
Ok, I have a new problem. I am trying to replace the band fitting on the tilt cylinder. To do this I need to remove the pivot shaft that goes through the top of the tilt cylinder. I can get the nuts and washers off but the shaft going through the bracket won't slide out. I've tried to tap it like the manual says and I get anywhere with it. Do you guys have any suggestions. Thanks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Pivot Shaft? Removal

It's most likely frozen in place from corrosion. Use some penetrating oil like PB Blaster, WD-40 etc. You may need to heat it up and really hit it hard. Leave the nut on the end of the shaft to protect the threads on the shaft when pounding on it. Sometimes it take so much force to break it free, it damages the shaft. If so, you can replace the shaft with a piece of one inch diameter (I think it's 1 inch, need to double check that) stainless steel rod. Drill 2 holes in each end of the shaft and insert cotter pins or something similar to hold the shaft in place.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pivot Shaft? Removal

no easy fix there...lots of penetrating oil, try and get the shaft to turn...leave one nnut on on one side and work it with a 1/2 " ratchet and socket...it is corrosion that is fighting you...I had to remove top AND bottom shafts to repair my tilt cylinder,.... I however , did not replace the band , I drilled and tapped a REAL fitting into the side of the cylinder, and that required disassembly of cylinder. Good luck , and be patient....