2005 opti 150 -fog or no??

jtcnj

Cadet
just got this motor/boat, ready to winterize. Manual doesn't say spray fogging oil into intake w/ motor running. Also doesnt say DO NOT do this.
What say you?? :confused:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2005 opti 150 -fog or no??

Fogging is usually for the benefit of the cylinders to prevent rust, not the fuel delivery system per se, i.e. doesn't matter, carbs or injectors. Would I do it? Probably. I don't currently do it because I run my engine about once a month regardless of the weather.

Mark

jtcnj

Cadet

thanks for the come back. I'm also concerned about the mains/rods getting enough protection, since ill be squirting some in the spark plug holes.
Somebody once told me hpdi types shouldn't get fogged because it fouls sensors.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you put it through the carbs you will lube all the "low end". Best way to do it is to have access to the carbs (air inlets beins you are FI), engine running at idle and just overpower it with spray till it boggs down then kill the ignition via the ign switch.
On sensors, in the fuel ingestion, ignition areas, what sensors?

Next spring, pull the plugs, squirt some Deep Creep (Sea Foam product) in the cylinders and spin the engine with the starter for 15 seconds or so. Then new plugs, fresh fuel and go for it.

Mark

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

manual says DO NOT spray liquids into the airbox on the opti-max engine.
it does say to remove the plugs and squirt about 2oz of DFI oil into each cyl and rotate the engine.
its in the service manual.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hi Rod.

Why not?

If you don't you can't lube the lower end of the engine (crank, mains, rod cap bearings, wrist pins/bearings and all).

If there is in fact a sensor or sensors there, is it (are they) plastic and they are worried about solvents melting the plastics?

I am a mechanism guy and I detest being told to not do something without being told why not. The reason for these feelings is that if I don't do what bothers the objectors, then their objections have nothing to do with me nor what I am doing.

Like a case in point (this is just one example but makes the point) is changing your oil every 3000 miles. Fine. You can't put a restriction like that on every possible senario that involves vehicles. Vehicles travel the world under all sorts of variations in climate and driving conditions. I never drive in traffic, make short trips, get tied up in traffic jams, drive 2 blocks to the store and work, hence never giving the engine time to warm up adequately, pull a trailer, drive the mountains, drive in the mud or sand and on and on. How can a logical person follow the recommended guideline when none of the above apply. Well I don't know. I certainly don't. I change my oil annually period and it is light brown when I change it. I am 68 and never in my life have I lost an engine nor had one smoke.

Not being an arse, just wanting some facts.

Mark