Convert a car into an offroad buggy. Doable?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
I'll soon be having access to hundreds of miles of trails for off roading and I'm considering trying my hand at severely stripping a car and converting it into a dune buggy.

Has anyone built their own dune buggy?
How difficult/costly/worthwhile is it?
Photos would be great!

Cheers

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Convert a car into an offroad buggy. Doable?

It is do'able. I've done it to a bug years ago (yea, I know bugs are NO comparsion to a more modern car....Bugs are simple to modify in this way).

I live near an orv area and ALOT of people run "home brewed" dune buggies there. so it is do'able and actually pretty common.

Rewards/cost would vary depending on how extreme you get.
I've seen some that are just stripped out cars, to some that are MUCH more extreme.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I own 2 ATV 4wd and in the past I have done a great deal of off road exploring in a small 4x4 pick up truck. Years ago I had an isuzu that basically rotted away but it had a bullet proof motor and trans. I stripped the bed and plated the entire frame... I rebuilt a steel and PT wood tiny bed and put huge tires on it.

My friends used to call it the war wagon and it went up some tight trails...... since I "graduated" to ATV's I will admit they will go into tighter places.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I imagine if you can get hold of an old awd car you might have more fun or even an old jeep (but that may start a whole new addiction!!!!)

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I never even thought about AWD cars.. that would be awesome! I was considering something along the lines of welding together a tubing frame, stealing the engine/trans from a FWD car and putting it in the rear of the frame (instant RWD). Then moving over what /i could from the car to equip the frame.. shocks, struts, front seats, pedals, steering column/rods and having a frankenstein car that way. I considered just removing body panels, but I think that would keep the weight too high and not allow ground clearance. I'd prefer to steer clear of the Jeep method, as, like my boat rebuild, I think the fun is in the creation rather than the buy-and-use method.

Any forums you guys know of where people do this?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Find an old Subaru. AWD and last forever.

For that project I would look for a rusty Subaru Justy.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Ever seen the the rally cars and what theyre put through:eek:

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

A guy I used to know in AK had one of these:

Diana+Buggy.jpg

A lot of the parts came off old military vehicles.

Now that I think of it, though...that baby was broke down more often than not.

Sure was cool though!

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I'd be searching for a Suzuki Samurai or other small 4WD with a frame.

skargo

Banned

Why reinvent the wheel, I have an AWESOMELY built FJ40 for sale. :D

dolluper

Captain

Forget the cars find an old 4 wheel truck or jeep lots cheap around

45Auto

Commander

stealing the engine/trans from a FWD car and putting it in the rear of the frame (instant RWD). Then moving over what /i could from the car to equip the frame.. shocks, struts,

You'll quickly discover why people tend to try to keep their cars on the road. None of the driveline or suspension on a typical FWD car is designed for the kind of loads you'll be seeing off-roading. Have fun building it, but make sure you have a buddy with a 4WD truck or Jeep with you to tow you back when you break down.

dolluper

Captain

Like 10 g's later it still looks like junk.....old 4wheel drive rusted ready to go for `1 g better better better