Aluminum Metal Rub Rail Installation

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone put in new aluminum metal rub rail on their boat? I have a 23' boat that needs new rub rail. The current rail is loose and the rivets are letting water in. The current stuff on the boat is aluminum with a rubber center. I like the way it looks, but how hard is it to put on? I've seen the videos on youtube, but they can make anything look easy. I was considering all rubber rub-rail, but not sure of the look.

My concern is that my boat has a dip in the back of the boat. So you would have to bend the aluminum around the nose of the bow, down the side of the boat, and then bend it down and around the back of the boat. How bendable is the stuff?

See pic.

Attachments

• wellcraftcuddy1.jpg
    wellcraftcuddy1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Aluminum Metal Rub Rail Installation

so drill out the rivets one by one and replace them with a ss machine screw with a flat washer and a nylock nut on the inside, seal the screw with 5200, permanent fix. the center pulls out of the rail easy enough, can be a little tricky to put back in but with paitence it can be done
good luck:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

IMO forget a "new" rub rail unless you are prepared for sticker shock.

Removal and Installation are tedious but the results are worth it. Many people have used stainless steel screws however, I am partial to a good pop riveter and aluminum rivets.

It is basically a cover strip for the hull and cap seam. Sealing that seam with 3m 4200 (which will allow for future removal) or 3m 5200 (which is PERMANENT!) is necessary.

The rubber is best bent and softest when warmed so have a heat gun/hair dryer on hand.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The aluminum is pretty soft and can be bend with a little patience,getting the rubber piece back in will be quite the challenge though. I doubt the rivets are the only place water is getting in. The cap - hull joint is a more likely place. After you take the old rub rail off clean and run a bead of 4200 along the joint to seal it. If you don't plan to ever get the cap off you could use 5200.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

the rail I have on now isn't in that bad of shape. It does have some deep gouges in it in a couple of places. Maybe I can just replace the rubber insert. If I replace the whole thing, will the new rail holes line up with the factory ones?

I like the bolt Idea, but the screws in the front (cuddy) of the boat are hidden. There is a piece of something (maybe wood) covering the seam where the bolts would be. I don't think I can get nuts on the bolts. The back corners are about 1/4" away from the boat and I can bend them back around when I reinstall it.

I saw new rub rail for about $300.