Got sons rifle ordered for his 11th bday!!!

ezbtr

Commander
Checked Big5 and they had a good deal on SAVAGE ?64FXP? .22LR AUTO-LOAD RIFLE WITH SCOPE for $159, w/ tax and fees, $198, synthetic stock, nice rifle, includes gunlock as well. He has NO clue and his bday 12/14, I'll have rifle by 12/11 :)
Ok. a small worry.........
I want to shoot it when I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before I give it to him!! LOL!!!!!!!!!! okokok, bad dad........ :)
My thoughts were, if I got him a single shot, he would outgrow it soon, he can for a while just load 1 rd at a time in clip, and w/o using scope fpr a few times, then work his way up to scope, and load a few more(clip holds 10) , and he is a lefty, but I looked at breach - and we always wear safety glasses, case will eject to front up and right of him, should be fine, I need to look at our shooting pics to see if he ever shot right handed :)
He's gonna go bonkers when he unwraps it all...... Oh and it will as all the rest, be stored in my locked gun cabinet, and he will get his shooting card at range first.
And as he said last night, when my 45 was on table being cleaned, "I really dont like the pistols yet dad"...................heehee

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Got sons rifle ordered for his 11th bday!!!

He's gonna go bonkers when he unwraps it all......

Ayuh,... I agree, there's probably No Better feelin' than watching a young fella opening his 1st Rifle....
I don't have any kids, but I've been giving my nephews a .22 when they get to about that age, With their parents permission of course...
So far, 1 got a Marlin mod.60,+ his brother got a Ruger 10/22....
Their cousin is comin' up,... gotta find him something by next year....

I also agree on the .22 being about the Best option,... It's a gun that'll be Useful to them All their lifes...
My Dad bought me a single shot 12ga. way back then,....
Unfortunately,... I've still to this day got a Flinch because of that rather Bad choice....

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ok. a small worry.........
I want to shoot it when I get it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Before I give it to him!! LOL!!!!!!!!!! okokok, bad dad........ :)

He is gonna love it, I got my 1st .22 when I was 10 and I remember how I felt. I still have it to this day, can't shoot it though the firing pin is worn out. Got to find or make a new one some day so I can hand it down to my boy in a few years :)

Shooting it when you get it - you need to sight it in for him and make sure its safe, "Yea Yea that's the ticket", works for me lol :D

One word of caution though, not to throw a monkey wrench into it I'm also a south paw, mine was a Winchester model 290 . Even though I didn't get hit with casings I did get a spray on my face that stung, it might just have been that action though

Regards,

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I treated myself a few years ago with a Savage 22 mag in bolt action and I enjoy shooting it. I also have a Remington 512 bolt that I purchased 35 years ago and it is a tack driver.....to this day the 22lr is more accurate then the new 22 mag.

My 22 experience stems back to when I was 8 and my Dad started me out on a bolt 22 and a daisy bb gun. I think it is a great thing for kids to learn on.

My only suggestion is to start him on iron sights.

ezbtr

Commander

Yes definitely starting him on iron sites, the scope just happened to come with it. He already had my old Daisy Model 25 pump bb rifle and is very good with it. :) We also always wear eye and hearing protection .

WIMUSKY

Staff member

One word of caution though, not to throw a monkey wrench into it I'm also a south paw, mine was a Winchester model 290 . Even though I didn't get hit with casings I did get a spray on my face that stung, it might just have been that action though
Regards,

That was my thoughts too. Do they make one for a left hand shooter? Could possibly be an issue....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

50 years ago i was given a 20 guage winchester. 12 y/o. still have it. killed my only but at 14. then lost the like for hunting, and went to fishing.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yes definitely starting him on iron sites, the scope just happened to come with it. He already had my old Daisy Model 25 pump bb rifle and is very good with it. :) We also always wear eye and hearing protection .

Aww the Daisy #25!!!
I in fact have my POPS #25..oh from when he was a kid...Has to be made in the very early 40's...Still works to this day

I noticed at BPS that Daisy is reintroducing them...I may go pick up a new one for the heck of it. I love nostalgia

btw..my first 22 was a Marlin 22 mag bolt..I will never forget that lil varmit blaster

SuperNova

Lieutenant

You mean you didn't get him one of those little "Cricket" single shot .22's......oh he is gonna be SO disappointed with YOUR choice. J/K
I hear they make them in pink now......good thing, I've got 3 girls.....

ezbtr

Commander

You mean you didn't get him one of those little "Cricket" single shot .22's......oh he is gonna be SO disappointed with YOUR choice. J/K
I hear they make them in pink now......good thing, I've got 3 girls.....

Oh hell no not the Cricket, he'd outgrow that REAL fast, yeah, they make em in pink and lots of other colors too :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I also have a Remington 512 bolt that I purchased 35 years ago and it is a tack driver.....to this day the 22lr is more accurate then the new 22 mag.
Your experience parallels mine. I have my dad's Remington 511, made in 1946. And it's still more accurate in 50yds. than anything else I own(open sights). I would say it's more accurate to 100yds, but I can't even see the target anymore at 100yds.

EDIT: Looked it up and it appears the difference between the 512 and 511 is the 512 is tube mag and the 511 is clip mag.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

The MOST accurate 22 rifle I ever owned (still do) is a 1930 something Remington Targetmaster..Single shot Bolt rifle with a looooong barrel..maybe 26 inches??

I havent seen it in 7 years..back in cali..

ezbtr

Commander

My step still I think has a 22 pump, octaganal barrel , barrel maybe 24 ", and the name escapes me, but it was made in the 1920's I beleive, my goodness, was it accurate with iron sites! Shoots 22 short, long and long rifle. Darn, I remembered the name of it the other day, and now just finishing work and brain is fried! :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How old is it? You might want to take it back and buy him something else!!! Research the vintage of your Daisy.

Aww the Daisy #25!!!
I in fact have my POPS #25..oh from when he was a kid...Has to be made in the very early 40's...Still works to this day

I noticed at BPS that Daisy is reintroducing them...I may go pick up a new one for the heck of it. I love nostalgia

btw..my first 22 was a Marlin 22 mag bolt..I will never forget that lil varmit blaster

Yes I had a Daisy 25 pump and really wished I still had it. The older "vintage" models are worth quite a bit of money now!

ezbtr

Commander

Let me do the math.....hmmmmmm my Daisy is 32 yrs old????? Still shoots great, we clean it and barrel magazine etal. But it will always be my sons' to give to one of his future kids :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

ya..my pops is 60-69 years old???

The screw in choke feeder wouldnt screw in years and years ago so I sent it to Daisy with a letter asking if they could repair it and charge me..

They sent it back fixed with a nice letter and how they positively couldnt charge me and thanked ME for sending it to them!!!

Very cool

I am going to have to ask my dad to dig it outta the closet and ship it to me..be a small box since it unscrews and comes apart in 2 pcs..

I always felt like a roof top sniper sha-clicking the two ends together and tightening that big knurled screw...lol