1988 bayliner capri 2.3l

chukar314

Recruit
I am new to this and I just purchased a bayliner capri with a 2.3l engine. I dont know anything about these type of boats I have only owned boats with outboards. I am not sure if engine is any good sometimes when I try to start it it will turn over other times I cant even turn it over by hand. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions and if motor is bad can I swap out motor with any 2.3l engine or even a v 8?

jimmyd6

Recruit
Re: 1988 bayliner capri 2.3l

That motor is very solid and one of the best that came with the boats at that time. Not the most powerfull motor but it is very reliable. you probably have issues with the carb if it doesn't start. put a screwdriver to hold the choke open and spray some starting fluid down in the carb. i would pump out all the gas and change the fuel filter and give a good tune up. You also need to check the points.

chukar314

Recruit

Thank you we have 8 inches of snow right now but come spring I am going to be giving it my all.

tds1774

Seaman

i too am new to boating. i bought an 86 bayliner capri with 2.3 volvo engine & aq275 outdrive. at first i had all kinds of trouble with it overheating, popping and backfiring, and deiseling. I reset the timing cleaned the points and filled the tank with premium and added octane boost. now it runs pretty smooth and starts every time. oh yeah! I learned the hard way... do not start the boat without the prop in water you WILL burn up an impeller in just a second! i went thru three before I figured it out. the freshwater cooling system had alot of leaks at the connections to the heat exchanger so silicone to the rescue. the only problem i have now is according to my gps i top out @ 30mph. is that good? i dunno???????????