Convert long to short shaft on 15hp

NJboater65

Recruit
I have a 2001 Mercury 2 stroke 15hp long shaft with remote controls and steering. My boat requires a short shaft. Can my motor be converted to a short shaft? Anyone knows anybody can can do it?

Edit: Contact information and soliciting information removed. Please read the posting guidelines - ezmobee

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Convert long to short shaft on 15hp

Not an expert by any means, but it can be done. You can get a another lower unit with the long shaft and swap out the short shaft mid section with a long shaft mid section. un installing and installing the new lower unit and mid section can be done pretty easily. You would have to replace the gasket between the power head and the mid section, and it can all be done by anyone with a manual, or any mechanical ability whatsoever. If the motor was run in salt water you may need to heat up the bolts that hold the powerhead to the midsection to remove them without damaging the threads or breaking bolts. Or they make a extention kit that makes it all possible without removing the midsection, just the lower unit which it even easier. Some of the experts on this forum can probably help you out more.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Excuse me, everything I said, except get a short shaft mid and a short shaft lower unit.....can still be done. Attention was diverted watching Obama ramble about things he knows nothing about.

NJboater65

Recruit

Thanks, and I hear what your saying about the speech