On board water system problems

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 96 Proline with a water system, and inside the cabin there is a switch that turns the pump on and you can hear it run but when you hit the nozzle it squirts and then barely dribbles. same thing with the fresh water shower. i have had he boat for a year and a half and it still has rv antifreeze in it and i would like to get it working for next year.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: On board water system problems

when you turn the pump on with no faucets opened does the motor stop running after a few seconds?

does your system have an accumulator?

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

stays running, never turns off, and no accumulator

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

your tank is empty, or you have a bad pump.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

tank has maybe 3 or 4 gallons in it, maybe a 20 or 30 gallon tank

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thats not enough to pressurize without pulling air. those pumps when left on should only run until they reach thier preset pressure and then automatically shut off, when you open a valve it will then cycle on and off as needed to maintain pressure.

to remove the anti freeze fill the tank all the way and open faucet to pump out. Repeat this until water is clear.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

ok i will try that, maybe next week, supposed to freeze this weekend

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

stays running, never turns off, and no accumulator

i had the same issues and was about to drop $125 for a new pump. find the pump and see if the inlet or outlet has a round screen strainer/filter assembly attached to it. about the size of a silver dollar. mine was clogged with muck. cleaned it out and presto! nice flow. like was previously stated, pumps are self priming and shut off when there is enough back pressure then cycle on and off when you open a faucet. i only have a 10 gallon holding tank and it will now pump it empty with a steady flow.

in-line strainer

47333_0.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I have had the same problem with the filter, change it or clean it, As well when I winterized it one year, I took off the inlet and outlet lines to the pump to blow them out, In the spring put it back together, but I had not tightened the inlet pipe down good enough so it would suck air at the pump
and I got the same symtems as your system.
turn it on, put hand around the nut, you will feel the vacum, or just try tightening it up.
rob