Powerhead Problems Help!! Inline 4 75hp

Mercs and such

Petty Officer 3rd Class
MY 1984 75HP 4CYL. MOTOR SUDDENLY LOCKED UP INSTANTLY AND I FOUND 2 OYSTERS SHOVED IN THE DRIVESHAFT. I FIXED IT BUT I ALSO HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR STAYING RUNNING.

I TOOK EXHAUST COVERS OFF AND FILLED A 32OZ. CUP WITH CLUMPS OF OLD 2 STROKE OIL ALL GUMMED AND STUCK TO THE SIDES. I ALSO FOUND OLD IMPELLER PARTS WITHIN THE PLATES WATER SYSTEM.

THE CARBS HAVE BEEN DISASEMBLED BUT WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW WITH THEM AND WHAT DO I NEED TO REPLACE SOME OF THE PARTS?

ANYWAYS I JUST NEED SOME HELP WITH WHAT TO USE FOR GASKETS B/C ALL ARE RUINED AND WHAT SEALANT TO USE.

IF ANYONE CAN HELP, OR HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THE INLINE MOTORS, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!

BEFORE DISASSEMBLY

PICT0243-1.jpg

WATER COVER PLATE REMOVED

PICT0248.jpg

GOODBYE CARBS!

PICT0249.jpg

POWERHEAD ABOUT READY TO COME OUT!

PICT0254.jpg

POWERHEAD IS OUTTA THERE!

PICT0257.jpg

LOOK CLOSELY AT THE AREA AROUND THE DRIVESHAFT, ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT CRAP IS? LOOKS LIKE MILKY LOWER UNIT OIL

PICT0258.jpg

THANKS!! MERCS AND SUCH

1978 GLASTRON 75HP MERC BROWNBAND

Mercs and such

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Powerhead Problems Help!! Inline 4 75hp

HERE ARE SOME MORE PICS!!

LOOK AT ALL THAT TAR IN THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD!!

PICT0261.jpg

PICT0262.jpg

WOW LOOK AT IT NOW!!

PICT0263.jpg

PICT0265.jpg

HERE ARE THOSE CARBS COMPLETELY DISASSEMBLED!!

PICT0268.jpg

MABYE I SHOULD GET CARB. REBUILD KITS??

PICT0269.jpg

Mercs and such

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys! got any suggestions on what i should use to rebuild it? mainly gaskets, what to seal the gaskets, and what kind of carb kit i should get. (welch plugs, float, gaskets, needle, jets :confused:

mercs and such

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Powerhead gasket kit should be available from sierra. Factory kits might have welch plugs but i've never removed them in a mercury. The sierra kits I've bought for inline four carbs did not include the plugs. you might just have to go match 'em up at an autoparts store.

If you don't have a factory service manual and you're not tearing it down any further, a seloc manual will have all of the required torque specs and assembly orders.

Mercs and such

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks! i do have a manuel. Its a clymer's shop manuel covering from 72' to 89' all inlines and v-6. However, I just will have to get the welch plugs at a autoparts store. The carb. kit is $70.00 and anything else included i dont really need. just the plugs is what i need. As for sealing them there was a red puddy most likely silicone? is that what i should use to seal them. And for the gaskets, what is the best thing to seal the gasket to the surface? probably some form a gasket but i am not for sure the absolute best to use and that is what i would like to use.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Mercs and such :cool:

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

There is no sealant required on carb gaskets and you should not use any. I never pull the welch plugs so I do not know what to seal them with. Sorry !